PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Conditional category and let user add new categories if none desired option ther

1. sascha

Hi at GF,
    I would like to achieve the following with a category field if possible, but am also open to use a workaround in using a text field or similar. I looked through the forum a fair bit, but could not find any specific answers yet. This is to submit a post to wordpress....

1. When I create a form (in the backend) and choose a parent category field -> all the children (sub-categories) of that category are displayed for choice in the form on frontend

2. Conditional logic: if someone does not find the right category (front-end), they choose "Add Category" and another field pops up in which they can add a new sub-category (when will conditional logic work on the category field?)

3. This new sub-category is then added to wordpress parent-category automatically on form submission

4. Does the "category" field work with custom taxonomies? If not: is there a plan to add a taxonomy field soon?

Thanks,
    Sascha

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday October 23, 2011 | Permalink
  2. sascha

Hi,
    any answers to the above?

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday November 26, 2011 | Permalink
  3. I would be interested in this sort of functionality as well.

J.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 2, 2011 | Permalink
  4. Gravity Forms does not currently have a built in feature to allow the user to create a new category and by default it only works with standard WordPress posts and taxonomies. Because of the uniqueness of the Post Category field, it's entirely data driven on the front end, it does not currently support conditional logic.

So it's not going to do this out of the box.

However, there isn't any reason why you can't write a customization to create a new category when the form is submitted if that is what you want to do. Gravity Forms is never going to have 100% of the features for 100% of the users and use cases. BUT anything is possible using the hooks and customizations.

As for custom taxonomy support, there is a 3rd party add-on that makes this easy and it's a good example of a developer making use of the available hooks to customize and enhance Gravity Forms:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-custom-post-types/

Just like plugins and themes enhance and expand WordPress itself, plugins and themes can enhance and expand Gravity Forms exactly the same way.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 2, 2011 | Permalink
  5. Thanks. Taxonomies and Custom Fields was really what I had in mind anyway. Now if I could just get the Gravity Forms + Custom Post Types plugin to recognize my CustomPress custom fields. ;)

J.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday December 6, 2011 | Permalink
  6. pjeaje

here's a link that might be useful...
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7967737/how-to-create-a-new-wordpress-category-in-front-end

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday February 22, 2012 | Permalink