PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Create New form is ok, but editing existing forms doesn't work

1. tungjacob

I'm using WP 3.2 and Gravity Forms Version 1.5.3. I can create new form, drag-n-drop every items up and down very smoothly, but everytime I try to edit an existing form, I can't drag-n-drop anymore or see any Edit button on each item (see screenshot here: http://min.us/mAarqTvAW )

I aslo tested themes and plugins conflict carefully but found no problems. So can you explain why i have this error and how to fix? Thanks!

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday September 29, 2011 | Permalink
  2. It appears the necessary Javascript and/or CSS isn't being loaded which is why the tabs aren't displaying properly and the editor isn't working.

When you said you tested for plugin and theme conflicts, how did you do so? Did you deactivate ALL other plugins AND activate the default Twenty Ten or Twenty Eleven theme? If not you will need to do so. And then activate each plugin one by one and test the form editor after each one.

Another thing that can cause this is missing files. We've seen some users FTP the plugin files and not upload all of the necessary files. So you may want to try deleting Gravity Forms and then re-installing it to make sure all the files are indeed present.

The last issue that can cause this is file permission issues related to the plugin files which cause the scripts to not load due to the server returning an error message.

To see if there are any errors I suggest using the FireBug plugin for FireFox. Using this, edit a form and then via the console in FireBug and see if you see any errors. Because of the behavior you described, you should see errors. Let us know what they are and provide a screenshot.

3. The first thing I notice on this site, when I create a New Form there are style problems and a 404 for a missing JS file related to your theme. The yellow that appears when editing a field should not be there. This means your theme is outputting scripts and CSS on the Gravity Forms admin pages, which it should NOT be doing. See this screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ZEL8t.png

The next thing that I notice is I am able to create a new form, and then edit and add additional fields to that form without a problem. I created a form called Test Form on your site. I added one field to it and saved it. Then I edited it again, added another field and saved it. I repeated this one field at a time, including using Drop Down, Checkboxes and Radio Buttons which means you don't appear to have a mod_security issue… actually I am unable to reproduce any problem. Forms are saving fine for me.

What I did notice is your server isn't that fast. The AJAX request to save the form took a few seconds, it didn't happen super fast like it normally does. This is a server performance issue.

You can see the form I created on your site, it's called Test Form. Each of the fields on that form were added one at a time, saving the form after each one. I encountered no issues what so ever.

4. torweb

I removed a plugin for scrolling to the top and I could then edit any saved forms.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday October 3, 2011 | Permalink
  5. @torweb What does that plugin do? It must be outputting script on the Gravity Forms admin pages which is causing the problem.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday October 3, 2011 | Permalink