PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Custom fields as send to email notifications not working

1. thelight

I have been following the instructions here http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/email-notification-send-to-email-address-pulled-in-from-post-custom-field as to how to pull a custom field email address and send the form results to that email addy.

I am using woothemes listings as my theme and want to use the same form for a contact this consultant form the idea being that depending the page that the form is loaded on depends on the email address that the results from that form gets sent to. ok see my settings in the next couple of screenpics

here are my settings on a advanced field 'email' i have put the variable as {custom_field:email} and hidden this field for admin only.... https://skitch.com/ezynet/fqyqy/screen-shot-2011-08-08-at-5.17.15-pm I have also parsed this form field variable into the notifications settings as 'send to' here https://skitch.com/ezynet/fqypu/screen-shot-2011-08-08-at-5.17.42-pm.

It picks up the hidden field information ok as per the screenshot here https://skitch.com/ezynet/fqyqr/screen-shot-2011-08-08-at-5.33.27-pm everything of the entry is stored on the database...and i can view them on the back end but doesn't email the notifications out to the consultant whos email addy has been pulled into the field or to the bcc what have i done wrong please advise.

:) becky

Posted 12 years ago on Monday August 8, 2011 | Permalink
  2. thelight

also when you submit an entry after submit it doesn't come up with any text but redirects to a blank white screen

3. Are notifications being sent at all? Have you tested notifications to see if your server is sending the email by configuring it to go to your email address?

4. thelight

yes the server is sending out mails from the website but i am not receiving any notifications when i submit a form.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday August 9, 2011 | Permalink
  5. thelight

for your info the problem is here http://taicnew.imageinnovators.biz/listings/consultant/the-australian-image-company/ scroll down to 'Send Consultant An Email' button about half way down the page. The gravity form pops up in a fancybox popup... its not this (ie fancybox) that is causing the problem because it wasnt working even when i just had it posted direct to the page without the jquery popup script.

6. The form did not open for me. It just scrolls to the top and this is the URL in the address bar.

http://taicnew.imageinnovators.biz/listings/consultant/the-australian-image-company/#

With email notifications, you're dependent on the server to deliver the mail. Gravity Forms just hands the notification off the the built in WordPress function wp_mail. After that it's up to the server.

One thing that works for many people is the WP Mail SMTP plugin:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

SMTP delivery is generally more reliable than the built in PHP mail.

It could also be in the configuration. Some servers will not allow you to send email from your website from a domain other than the one hosted there. You should also check your spam folder. And finally some email providers reject email that does not appear to come from the proper domain (for example, if you are sending mail from your website as you@gmail.com, to you@gmail.com).

All this is dependent on proper set up of the notifications as well. How are your notifications configured at this point (routing, or simple notifications)?

Troubleshooting the email notifications is frustrating, but it's generally not something Gravity Forms has control over. It's all in the configuration, the server, and the email addresses involved.

7. thelight

I knew you would say that but i have another gravity forms on the site that sent out fine so its not that... what it is sorry another programmer had overwritten my files meaning that the popup box wasnt working you should be able to check the pop up box with the form now. Please help me...

8. thelight

when you send an email it doesn't refresh or tell you its been sent it loads and loads and keeps on loading... or it returns a white screen. it is a problem with gravity forms not with emails something is missing in translation...you can send a test email through to that particular page as the email address it points to comes back to me.

9. I was not able to get the form to open last time, but it does open for me now. You initially mentioned this "but redirects to a blank white screen" which generally means you have a 500 Internal Server Error. So, there may be something wrong with a function or some other code that applies only to this form.

I tried submitting it just now and it just hung. In fact it's still there spinning as I type this.

This hanging and the fact that sometimes it does not hang means it is probably something on the server, server configuration or some code you've added that applies to this form only. It does not seem that it has anything to do with notifications at all, but a more basic configuration problem.

Do you have access to server error logs at all? The white screens should be logged at 500 Internal Server errors, which may help point to the source of this problem.

Can you embed that same form in a page and turn off the AJAX to see if that's causing your problem?

10. thelight

i meant to say above when you hit submit it just hangs and doesn't look like its doing anything...the loading buttons go around and around but nothing happens. looking in the backend though the data is being saved.

11. Right, I submitted from two different browsers, and it never really submitted, it's just hung there with the spinner still spinning. Were two entries created?

12. thelight

when its not set on agax it goes to the white screen when it is set on ajax it hangs....like what you saw.

13. Please turn off AJAX and let's see if an error is logged. I think that will point to the source of the problem. Do you have access to error logs?

Also, were my two entries created?

14. thelight

of the same form you mean? no i have two different forms though.

15. thelight

i just tried to set it up with ajax on another page still hanging http://taicnew.imageinnovators.biz/listings/test-form/

16. Please disable AJAX in the shortcode so that we might see the error being logged. Thanks.

I submitted that form as well and it too hung. Have any of my entries been created?

17. thelight

yep your two entries were created in the backend ok...have disabled ajax

18. thelight

where do we view an error log?

19. thelight

success ok so i reinstalled gravity forms by uploading the files...everything works great now yay am so excited. thanks so much

20. Very odd. So you re-installed and everything appears to be working now? It could have been some sort of file permission issue that was corrected when you re-installed.

21. The location of the error log will be dependent on your server. Does your host have a control panel or something like that?

I just submitted and there was an AJAX spinner for just a second (I think) but it submitted and I saw this confirmation message:

Thanks for contacting them! They will get in touch with you shortly.

I also received my user confirmation email.

So, there won't be an error log in this case, since it did not error out. Please see if the admin notification arrived for that last submission (submission 4) from this page:

http://taicnew.imageinnovators.biz/listings/test-form/

It's interesting that the previous entries made it though. The browsers are still hung with the AJAX spinner... I am going to close those tabs now.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.