PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Developers License

1. Hello,

I purchased a developers license to use the software on my client and customer sites.

Is it common practice to include my Developer ID code within each one of these sites? It would be nice if this information could be hidden from the client's view, so it could not be redistributed.

Also, I sell WP themes (alohathemes.com) and would like to include the forms within my themes. What is the best way to go about this?

Thank you! - Scott

Posted 14 years ago on Monday March 1, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Using your developer license key on a client site is your choice. The key itself is input using a field that doesn't display the license key, so they won't see it unless of course they look directly in the database.

We have many Developer License holders who still opt to have their client purchase a single site license of their own for use in their site. This is because the client does not receive support from us.

Only the license holder can access support or contact us. So if you are no longer working with that client and they are using your Developer License, they are unable to get support from us.

You cannot include your license key in themes that you sell or distribute.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday March 1, 2010 | Permalink
  3. Hi Carl!

Thank you for the quick response :)

I'm guessing while the license key cannot be redistributed (and I understand the reasons why), the Gravity Forms plug-in itself can be redistributed, per the GPL license, within a theme. The user would then only be able to use the version that was distributed to them without support or upgrades, until they purchase their own license. Is that correct?

- Scott

Posted 14 years ago on Tuesday March 2, 2010 | Permalink
  4. I have a related question about this topic. I'm a web developer, and I recently purchased a single site license on behalf of a client. I did this for the reason mentioned by Carl (so they could have the support).

The client now wants MailChimp integration. As I understand the licensing, the only way to get the add-on is with a developer license. They really don't need a developer license, as they'll only ever user the forms on one site. So, it seems like I have just 2 options...

1. My client buys a much more expensive license than they need to get the add-on.

2. I keep the license I bought, and upgrade it too a developer license - at that point my client would obviously be using a license they don't own.

Is this correct?

I really like Gravity Forms and I plan to use it in the future, but honestly this seems like an odd model. I would prefer my clients each own their own license, but this makes it impossible for any of them to get the add-ons. My only alternative seems to be to distribute my license - which is a bummer for them if they ever need support / upgrades and I'm no longer in the picture.

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday March 7, 2010 | Permalink
  5. If you purchase the Developer License and get access to the Add-Ons, you can install the Add-On on your clients sites and they can use it. They just won't get access to automatic upgrades for the Add-On and they won't get access to support through us for the Add-On. But you can maintain it for them by manually upgrading it when a new release comes out, etc.

We do plan on eventually making Add-Ons available to everyone in some capacity, most likely for an additional fee, with Developers receiving them for free as part of their license package.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday March 8, 2010 | Permalink
  6. Thanks for the clarification, Carl. Count my vote for the ability to buy add-ons separately. I would personally prefer my client hold the license(s), just incase anything were to ever happen.

Posted 14 years ago on Tuesday March 9, 2010 | Permalink
  7. I hate to be thread dredger but it beats starting new thread right? :)

So I have similar questions about the dev license.
    do the addons stop working after a license key removal? I thinking I might chuck the addons in, then remove the key (which means they don't get auto upgrades) but this might be some way of protecting my license key?

thoughts?

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday May 8, 2011 | Permalink
  8. horst2009

So I mussn't put the Developer Licence Key into my clients Plugin?
    I can, but iI must not do that?

Kind Regards
    Horst

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday October 25, 2012 | Permalink
  9. Horst, if you choose to use your license key on someone else's site (your client) then you are responsible for it - meaning you are the one who will keep the plugin up to date, ask any support questions on the client's behalf and also be responsible for keeping the license key active and renewed. If, and when you and your client part ways - you will need to inform them that they will need to purchase their own key going forward - or you can avoid that conversation by having them purchase their own key from the start, which is what we recommend as they are in control of the license being used on their site.

10. horst2009

Ok, I think I understand.
    But for what did I need than a developer Licence if my clients should buy a own licence?
    Thank you for your answer.

11. David Peralty

Your clients don't need their own license. The main point is the following that Rob already said: "you are responsible for it"

We get so many people contacting us for support not realizing that support is tied to the license holder. So if you have long term clients and want to use your license on their sites, that's fine, but you are the person we will be dealing with for support.