PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Disabling the edit of a pre filled field

1. mharding7va

How do I prevent the user from editing a pre filled field. I am pre filling it from a URL var for the user to verify. I don't want to let them change the value.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday August 11, 2011 | Permalink
  2. You just want them to verify the value that's there, but not be able to change it? Will the URL need to be submitted with the form? Do they check a box that says "I agree this is the correct value"? How about if the value is incorrect? What should they do in that case?

Do you have a link to this form in action now? I'd like to see how you're using it. Thanks.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday August 12, 2011 | Permalink
  3. Here is a simple way to make the element "read only" with jQuery:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1362153/how-can-i-use-jquery-to-make-an-input-readonly

Posted 12 years ago on Friday August 12, 2011 | Permalink
  4. FanaticWeb

Chris, where do we insert those codes? In what GF files? Can we create "hooks" or however you call them to make other fields read-only?

Let's say I'm using a simple basic "post an article" form, I got the username and email field pre-filled for registered members so thats fine so far, how do we go by making those 2 fields read-only?

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday August 28, 2011 | Permalink
  5. FanaticWeb

By the way, I had already posted this concern on this thread: http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/terms-and-conditions-text-record-in-form-entries-database yet no answer, if possible to clarify the steps for your newbs pls.

6. You can hide fields that are pre-filled if you want, using this:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/hide-field-only-if-prepopulated

The visitor would never see them in that case, and would most likely not edit them, and they would be stored in the database.

7. FanaticWeb

Thats actually what I ended up doing before posting here (hiding the fields), although now I realized that the files to modify are the XML files generated by the forms, so I guess adding a read only tag to specific fields will do the job, I'll follow through the thread you posted..

I was just missing the whereabouts to do the modifications, thats all :)

8. If you need more help please post. We're happy to assist.

9. FanaticWeb

Much appreciated Chris and thanks, really wished there were video tutorials for the less advanced users such as myself, easier to absorb and understand.

I had one more inquiry about publishing conditional based content but I'll post it elsewhere given its not relevant to this topic.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday August 29, 2011 | Permalink
  10. Video tutorials are something that's on the short list of things to do. They will probably be created for version 1.6. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday August 29, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.