PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Donations, Subscriptions, Feeds and Notifications

1. I'm trying to consolidate our three donation forms into a single form and could use some insight. The three forms as they exist now are:

1. Donation Form — Set up with the old donation field type, it includes an other amount in addition to a field with a set group of options.

2. Monthly Recurring Donation/Subscription — When this was set up, it was not possible to have one form with both one-time and recurring donation options (since each is a different type of feed).

3. Downloads Donation Form — This is similar to number 1, but doesn't have an 'other' amount because the user notification includes links to files that can be downloaded in exchange for a certain amount of donation.

In consolidating, I've run into some issues that I need to figure out or resolve:

1. Based on my research so far, it doesn't seem possible to use one form for both donations and subscriptions. I know there's some new support for multiple feeds, but it's not clear to me how to trigger that from a form. Also, I'd need to make sure that donations have a floor, i.e. if someone gives $1, they don't get access to something that requires a $15 donation.

2. One of the other goals is an improved mechanism for gathering address information. Right now, we use the International format because it's the more universal of the formats, but I've designed a setup where the user says they're in the United States, Canada or Other and they get a corresponding group of addresses depending on what they choose. That actually works well, but the Paypal feeds want an address, city, state and zip and we have three addresses, three city fields, etc. (e.g. U.S. Address (City), Canadian Address (City), and International (City)). It's not clear to me how to adjust this or if it's even possible.

3. Depending on some fields checked, i.e. subscribe to the newsletter, I want an e-mail address added to the notification when the form is submitted.

4. Also depending on some fields checked, I want to modify the user notification e-mail and html response to include some links to download files when the form is submitted.

I have the form built and the UI is working pretty much like I want. I've also hooked into some things, like adding a custom number as the invoice number to the PayPal and also adding that field (so that we have a matching number at PayPal when the IPN failes).

Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday March 29, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Given that my original post was very long, can anyone just answer my first question?

Is it possible to have one form with both a subscription and a product/donation where the PayPal feed is determined by which type of field it is?

Thanks,

Dennis

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday April 4, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Dennis, The PayPal Add-On v1.4 update allows you to create multiple PayPal Feeds per form and using the Condition option on the Feed decide which one gets executed based on selections made by the user.

4. Thanks. Do you have an example form somewhere? I saw that in the release notes, but it wasn't clear to me how to set it up.

5. The idea behind this is, you create a product field and let's say it has 3 pre-defined prices. Then you can have an option field below it that asks is this a one-time donation or a recurring one.

Then you would setup two PayPal feeds. One of them would be a product/donation and the other would be subscription. On the condition to send to PayPal, you would select the appropriate answer on that option field. So if they select recurring it goes to PayPal on the subscription feed, if they select one-time, it goes to PayPal on the Product/Donation feed.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 5, 2012 | Permalink
  6. What about if you want to collect both a Reservation AND a Donation in the same form, both going to Paypal but they are not separate drop down options? I've set up the PayPal feed for both reservations and donations but when I fill in a reservation and a donation, PayPal only recognizes the reservation.

See the page here: http://www.cadre-la.org/core/ticket-reservation-form/

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday April 7, 2012 | Permalink
  7. I'm still working on some of my other issues, but I figured out the deal with multiple feeds. First of all, because I was using the old-style donation field, the condition was not available that let me say whether or not a feed was triggered. So, once I added a product field instead of a donation, I was able to have both donation and subscription feeds, which was my desire. It's really straight forward, but not always apparent when digging through documentation under deadline.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 12, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Through figuring a lot of the backend Gravity Forms stuff, I've been able to just about finalize the unified form for donations and subscriptions:

Unified Donation Form

Among the features are:

• Custom e-mail notification depending on whether the "I'm an educator..." box is checked. People who check that box get an e-mail message with links to download documents. I'm using the conditional logic shortcode feature in the current beta 1 of 1.6.4. I'd really like to also be able to use this same shortcode functionality in the form confirmation.
    • Custom admin e-mail routing based on field values. I'd really prefer this functionality to be in the bcc section so that I could send every form result to one address, but add people depending on which fields are selected to the cc and bcc sections.
    • I ended up using individual fields for the address because of the way I wanted to customize the data depending on which country people were coming from and also the states. I know that I could probably have figured this out differently, but it was simpler this way.
    • I'm using the conditional logic for PayPal feeds (introduced in 1.6.3) to select a different feed depending on whether someone is doing a one-time donation or a recurring donation.
    • Custom validation so that no one can submit a donation less than $1 and so that there's a floor of $15 when someone wants to download documents, i.e. they can't just enter 'other' and put a $1 but instead have to donate a minimum of $15 for that privlege.
    • Customize the PayPal query to make the product names work better for my needs and also to direct those people without PayPal accounts to the "guest" page so they can enter their credit card info directly without having to find the link.
    • Check a value on the form when it renders depending on the referring page so that instead of sending people to a different form for document downloads, we now just have one form for all our needs.
    • Send a custom invoice ID to PayPal. In retrospect, I could have done without this and just used the transaction ID.

This has been a very educational project and I hope to find many other uses for Gravity Forms and to recommend it to my clients. I really products that are constantly being improved and supported.

Thanks...

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 19, 2012 | Permalink
  9. Thanks for posting this, Dennis! We appreciate it.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday April 19, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.