PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Drop Down Selector for Built-in Classes

1. Its probably been said, but...After my first big job using GF, I got tired of typing out the gf_left_half etc for the built in classes. It'd be nice if they were put into a drop down format that you can just select while you're editing the form field options.

Cheers!

Posted 12 years ago on Monday February 6, 2012 | Permalink
  2. We're working on something to extend the "ready class" capabilities and make them even easier to use. It will most likely be in the form of an add-on in the future. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday February 7, 2012 | Permalink
  3. beedle

Agreed! Love this idea. And also like the idea of an add-on with even further capabilities.

In this same vein, is there something that could be done to help prevent conflicts with or override theme CSS. I ended up needing to make tweaks to the theme template to make sure everything played well together. If the stylesheet for GF were loaded after the theme stylesheet would that solve the issue of the theme styles getting in the way or no?

4. There's no way to completely control where in the markup the scripts/CSS get loaded. It all depends on how your theme is set up and where the developer calls the enqueue script function. Since there are literally thousands of themes floating around out there and all organized differently, it's difficult to bulletproof everything. It's normal to have to make a few "tweaks" if you really want to customize your form.

I'm working on some ideas, but for now nothing I've tested thoroughly enough. Again, nothing is 100% bulletproof here since this is a plugin and intended to be a part of a bigger site but the hope is to make it a little easier to work with.

On a side note here though.. lets be real. Copying & pasting class names into a field is still a lot easier than having to figure out how to construct the CSS and make them work on your own. ;)

Thanks for the feedback.

5. beedle

Cool, thanks Kevin. And I completely recognize that it's tough to take into consideration the huge variety of themes available.

Re your side note... no doubt! I don't think it was Juddc's intent and it was certainly not mine to display a lack of appreciation for the CSS ready classes as they exist now. Love them!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday February 8, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Ha! No, I was just being froggy. I didn't think anyone was being unappreciative. Sorry if it came across that way. Thanks for the note!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday February 8, 2012 | Permalink
  7. Richard Vav
    Administrator

Personally I don't mind typing in the css ready classes although I acknowledge that for somebody not familiar with css it may be easier. On the flip side there are probably some who can type out gf_right_third faster than they could select it from an addon (depending on which way it is implemented that is).

Just out of interest I did a quick search in the wordpress plugin directory and it seems somebody has already created an addon for the job. Apparently it a adds a button next to the css field on the advanced tab which when clicked opens a modal listing the css ready classes, click on the class you want and it adds it to the css field for you.

It's not somthing I would personally use but it may come in handy for others so here's the link to its page on the wordpress plugin directory.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-css-ready-selector/

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday February 16, 2012 | Permalink