PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

dropdown - require user to choose an option

1. csleh

I've created a dropdown with a few options, no choices are checked by default, and made it a required field. However, the first option is automatically selected -- even if the visitor hasn't selected it themselves.
    How can I add something like "---" or "please select..." as a default, so the visitor will have to select one of the actual choices?

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday June 28, 2011 | Permalink
  2. If you want to force a user to make a selection, and not allow them to select the first option which would act as a placeholder and say "Select One" you can do so by following these instructions.

- Edit your form
    - Add a Drop Down field to your form
    - Edit this new Drop Down field
    - Give this field a Field Label
    - Check the "enable values" checkbox
    - Give the very first choice in the list of choices a label of "Select One" and leave it's value EMPTY
    - Make sure all choices below it have the value field populated for each choice
    - Check the "Required" checkbox under the Rules
    - Save your form

These same steps apply if you have an existing drop down you want to modify to do this.

What this does is it makes the field required, which means the choice selected must have a value. Because the first choice is a placeholder that says "Select One" (or whatever you want it to say) and does not have a value... it won't allow the user to select it and will force them to make a selection.

I am including a screenshot of a Drop Down configured following these instructions. You can view it here: http://i.imgur.com/JEObb.png

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday June 28, 2011 | Permalink
  3. FanaticWeb

Glad someone flagged this, and glad I looked it up prior to posting it :) Thanks csleh and Carl!

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday July 2, 2011 | Permalink
  4. Thanks, this was really useful. Would be great if this could be included in the plugin as an option.

Keep up the good work!

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday November 17, 2011 | Permalink
  5. What do you mean Miramedia? What Carl describes is available in the plugin. Are you looking for functionality not described here?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday November 17, 2011 | Permalink
  6. This helped for me as well, thanks for the well-explained and documented solution.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday January 16, 2012 | Permalink