PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

dropdowns in thesis css help

1. xecorp

Hello here is my site with a form: http://xecorporation.com/merrill/products/home/.

Could someone please help me with the styling so dropdowns will look like the other input fields, i.e. borders and width?

I am also curious why input field borders are only visible in Firefox (not in IE, Chrome, or Safari).

Thanks in advance.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday May 12, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Looking at your form in Safari the drop downs are already the same width as the other input fields on your form.

How are you wanting to style them? You only have so much control over styling a drop down because it is an element handled by the browser and each browser handles them slightly different. They aren't like input fields where you can style the background color, border, etc.

The drop downs and input fields both already have the same width percentage (35%) so any variance is going to be due to how the specific browser handles drop downs. Just like buttons, browsers handle drop downs slightly different.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday May 12, 2010 | Permalink
  3. xecorp

Thank you Carl. I wasn't aware of browser idiosyncrasies regarding drop downs.
    I am coming from windows forms application development and relatively new to web design.

Do you know why the input fields only show a border in Firefox?

Thanks again for your help.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday May 13, 2010 | Permalink
  4. Yes, browsers act differently with different elements. Drop downs and submit buttons are a good example. Each browser handles them slightly different.

The input field styling is different because Firefox is the only one that supports the CSS you have in place to do what you are doing with both the border radius and the border color.

Welcome to the web LOL! It's a much different world than windows form applications... far more variables to deal with when it comes to browser differences, CSS support, etc.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday May 13, 2010 | Permalink