PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Dynamically copy user name/email to hidden fields

1. I am new to dynamic fields so bear with me. I would like for the user's name and email to be dynamically input to a duplicate set of hidden name/email fields on the condition that they select "Add me to mailing list" checkbox. I can then connect the hidden name/email data to MailChimp data fields using the add-on.

The idea here is that name/email will not be passed to MailChimp unless the "Add..." checkbox is checked, and it all happens in the background without the user having to fill out the data twice.

Can someone help me with the hook for this? Am I on the right track to accomplish this? Much appreciated! - Steve

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday January 10, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Steve, there is a condition you can check in the MailChimp Feed you setup that is tied to the form where it only sends the info you map if the user "Opts In" or "Adds to List" (however you want to write it). That seems to be a much easier solution for you.

See here:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/MailChimp_Add-On

3. Thank you for the reply. I had thought of that. My only concern is that I am, in effect, forcing the user to decide to opt-in or -out for something they may not have wanted to deal with in the first place. Granted, it's relatively harmless, but it could be perceived as annoying - that is, having to decide not to be involved with a decision they didn't ask for.

4. No problem. Aren't you still posing that same situation with the: "Add me to mailing list" checkbox. I may be missing something here, but how is that different? If a user checks that box, then you fire off your MailChimp feed. If they don't check it, then it doesn't go to MailChimp.