PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Email Field

1. When I setup From Email Address I would like to have the possibility to get the email headers like this:

Joe Doe <joe@doe.com>

So in my email I'll get an email from Joe Doe instead of just joe@doe.com

This is particularly useful with weird email addresses like joe2231.the.big.man@mysuperduperwebsite.com :)

Any way to accomplish this?

Posted 14 years ago on Monday November 23, 2009 | Permalink
  2. There isn't currently, but I will look into if it is possible to do now... or what it will take to add this ability in a release update.

I'm assuming you want the ability for the email header to have the name they submitted using the Name field as well as the email. Correct?

3. Exactly.

Thanks for the quick answer! :)

4. Okay, i'll bring it up and see if it is something that we can add in a release update.

It raises a few issues, such as the fact that a form can have multiple Name fields so which one do you use? Then how do you make it selectable so you can select the Name field you want to use? So it quickly becomes more complicated as far as implementation.

But we will take a look at it.

5. Perhaps if we had the possibility to compose our "From:" field like we can with the Subject and Message. So we'll have:

{name_1} {email_1}

Again this could lead to usability issues for less technical people. I don't know :)

In the end this is not such a big problem (I mean not having both name and email), but it would be a nice little touch! So if it won't be included in the next releases you won't hear me complaining :) . I know how much of a hassle making these "small" changes can be!

6. Vin Thomas

So can you use fields like {email_1} in the "from email" field? This wasn't working for me when I tried to set it up. It kept showing as coming from the WordPress default email.

Posted 14 years ago on Tuesday December 29, 2009 | Permalink
  7. Vin: No, you can't currently use variables in the From Email field. The user above was suggesting it as a feature.

Posted 14 years ago on Tuesday December 29, 2009 | Permalink
  8. cbg

When the prospective customer fills in an inquire form 2 emails are sent:

1. to customer with their inquire details
    2. to us with prospective customer inquire details. The "From Email" field is filled with customer email address.

The second email is also received by our CRM system and the email is added in the customer communication email list.

If a new Prospective Customer submits the form then a new entry is created in CRM. However the CRM picks the email address but there is no customer name to pick.

For example I looked to a raw email I received and I could find the following information in it:

However in the emails send by Gravity Forms the name is missing (in this instance "John Doe" would be missing). The net outcome is that our CRM is not able to properly handle the incoming email notifications from Gravity Forms because the name is not included in the From: email field.

The best option would be that the "From Email" would use the same implementation as Subject line so we can use something like:

{name_1} <{email_1}>

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday September 22, 2010 | Permalink