PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Email notifications are not being sent

1. I have spent a few hours trying to get email notifications sent from the form on this page:

http://www.executivespeakingsuccess.com/

I have deactivated all of the plugins (apart from Viper Video plugin - when I deactivate it the form shows up as shortcode)

I have installed several SMTP plugins that didn't work

I have used several different From & To & Admin emails, both an @executivespeakingsuccess.com/ and @gmail address

Getting really frustrated now.

Please can you shed some light on this issue. I use Gravity Forms on all my websites and have not had this issue before.

Regards,
    Merrin

Posted 11 years ago on Monday August 6, 2012 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

Hi Merrin,

Gravity Forms doesn't send any e-mails itself. It connects to WordPress' built-in sendmail files (wp-mail.php). If the SMTP plugin has been installed and configured correctly, and Gravity Forms is still unable to send e-mails, and you've deactivated other plugins, then the usual source is a server configuration error. You will want to contact your host to confirm you are able to use PHP sendmail without issue. Also double check WordPress and server anti-spam in case things are mistakenly being caught that way.

Hopefully, if nothing else, your host can look at the logs to confirm that there aren't any errors or issues that should/could be stopping you from using php sendmail.

3. Hi David,

I have just checked with Bluehost and they said we can use php sendmail without issue.

Is there anything else I can do? This is normally so simple!

Thanks,
    Merrin

4. David Peralty

You will want them to check the PHP logs to see if there is an error that is stopping e-mails from being sent.

Our troubleshooting steps for this issue is as follows:

- Update WordPress/Gravity Forms
    - Disable all Plugins except Gravity Forms
    - Use the 2011 WordPress theme
    - Install and configure a SMTP plugin
    - Check host permissions for PHP sendmail
    - Check logs to see if any issue is showing up

You are at the last step of that, and if there isn't a resolution, there isn't much we can do. You can test sendmail is working by creating a simple PHP script.

http://email.about.com/od/emailprogrammingtips/qt/How_to_Send_Email_from_a_PHP_Script.htm

At the end of the day, it is about identifying the source of the issue, and Gravity Forms, like I mentioned before, doesn't really send e-mail. It hooks into WordPress, send WordPress the details and has WordPress send the e-mail. The SMTP plugin overrides this to make sure sendmail has a server to send e-mail through.

Here is the article from Yoast, a well known WordPress expert, that we also hand out to people having these kinds of issues as you may be able to glean some missing/mistaken detail to fix your set-up.

http://yoast.com/email-reliability/

5. Thanks David,

I've just discovered that their email address is hosted at GoDaddy which means my settings may not have been correct.

Can you recommend one SMTP plugin for me to use? They are quite confusing.

Thanks,
    Merrin

6. David Peralty

I think this is the one we usually recommend for people:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

7. Thank you David for the notes and plugin recommendation. I was having the same issue as Merrin and wp-mail-smtp worked beautifully.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.