PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Email notifications are not working or take 20 to 40 min to send

1. Tested on Gmail, Godaddy, hotmail etc.

Emails are not being sent, or take 20 to 40 minutes on average, I have checked out the other forums and you always say its not a gravity form problem, hence the reason i tried gmail and hotmail but those do not send it either.

What else can i check out to verify it is not a gravity form problem, I have read and tried everything.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday July 18, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Gravity Forms uses the built-in wp_mail function in WordPress. The hand off to that function happens immediately. If you're not receiving the emails in a timely manner, there might be something about the mail configuration on your server.

Have you tried the WP Mail SMTP plugin? It has resolved most of the WordPress email delivery problems I've seen:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-mail-smtp/

You could also contact your host and see if there is something unique about the mail setup that might cause this.

Who is the host?

3. Also, what address is the email coming from, and being sent to? Is it the same, or on the same domain?

4. Thanks chris,

Received emails are being sent to Gmail, godaddy, and hotmail, sent to each just to make sure it wasnt a godaddy issue, have 3 addresses that the notifications are being sent to.

email is being sent from a godaddy email, same as one of the addresses it is being sent to.

You gave me an idea, should I set the admin email to a gmail account, so that it comes from gmail?

I will also try the smtp plugin as well.

5. When the to and the from email addresses are the same, they sometimes get marked as spam on the receiving end (as if to say "you really didn't send this to yourself").

Some hosts also have a problem sending email when the email address is not the same as the domain it's hosted on (in essence "you want to send email from chrishajer @ gmail.com but this domain is example.com - no way").

I would NOT make the admin email the same as where the email is being sent (see problem 1 above.)

Please do try the WP Mail SMTP plugin and let us know how it goes. GoDaddy hosting is the source of many complaints on email delivery.

6. Tried this and it worked with wp-smtp

http://angstrey.com/index.php/2009/04/22/how-to-send-e-mail-with-wordpress-from-godaddy-windows-hosting/comment-page-1/#comments

Basically set the smtp host to relay-hosting.secureserver.net instead and it worked with godaddy. instead of the standard smtpout.secureserver.net

7. Sounds like you have resolved your problem then? Thanks for the link.

8. So you are aware, GoDaddy is notoriously bad at handling email sent from it's web servers. They queue the email which is why sometimes there is a large delay in receiving the email notifications... if they get sent at all. They are definitely the most unreliable web host we have encountered as far as email reliability goes.

There support seems generally uninterested in resolving the issue when approached. They fall back on saying they can't support 3rd party applications, but it's the web server that sends the email, not the 3rd party application. They are the most frustrating host to deal with and I definitely can't recommend them to anyone looking for hosting.

9. Jackson Murphy

I am having the same issues with GoDaddy. It's very frustrating for my client and me. I've tried the WP Email SMTP plugin... Without much luck :(
    I don't know what else to do... I guess Im going to have to recommend switch servers.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday July 25, 2011 | Permalink
  10. @JacksonMurphy Unfortunately GoDaddy is notorious for this. We've tried reaching out to them numerous times, but they never follow through with helping us determine the issue *AND* to compound the issue they have a larger number of servers and the configuration of them can be different from server to server. No consistency. Some GoDaddy users have no problems at all, some can use the SMTP plugin, and some just continue to have problems. It's extremely frustrating.

We are planning on creating an Add-On later this year for some email providers such as PostMark (http://postmarkapp.com) which are reliable email services that you can integrate with to handle sending your email. We use them ourselves and they are rock solid. This will be a good alternative for users who have web host problems. So watch for those later this year.

11. Jackson Murphy

Hey Carl!
    Thanks for your reply.
    How can I easily show this thread to my client... to prove this is not a Gravity Form issue, but rather a GoDaddy issue :)
    Is there any way I can use this App now?

12. You could print it to PDF if you can do that on your machine, I know on Mac's it's a built in feature. Then you could show them the PDF. You could also search for GoDaddy and you'll find other posts with similar information to back it up. Try searching for other hosts? You won't see this issue. GoDaddy is notorious for email issues and they are the only one that consistently cause headaches with it.

13. Chineseand

On this note, does Gravity Forms recommend using PHP mail over other methods? I'm wondering if there is a security advantage to one over another. Can the notification emails be intercepted?

Posted 12 years ago on Monday December 12, 2011 | Permalink
  14. If the wp_mail function in WordPress works for you, then that is fine. If not, we recommend the WP Mail SMTP plugin.

The security of the mail delivery is largely dependent on the configuration of your host. If you use the WP Mail SMTP plugin, you can secure the SMTP connection with SSL and sent the email notifications securely.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday December 13, 2011 | Permalink