PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Error auto upgrading Gravity Forms

1. idealists

This isn't a GF specific error, but I am trying to upgrade (using WP Automatic Upgrade) and I am getting the following error:
    Updating Plugin Gravity Forms (1/1)

Downloading update from http://s3.amazonaws.com/gravityforms/releases....
    Unpacking the update…

An error occured while updating Gravity Forms: Could not create directory. /home/g...t/public_html/wp-content/upgrade/gravityforms_1.tmp/gravityforms.

Disabling Maintenance mode…

I've tried changing permissions to 777 and no luck.
    Not sure what else to do. Can't find much other suggestions on the WWW. :(

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday December 18, 2010 | Permalink
  2. idealists

Current version: 1.3.13.1
    Trying to automatic upgrade to 1.4.5

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday December 18, 2010 | Permalink
  3. Sometimes the WordPress automatic upgrade routine doesn't function properly. When it has an issue you will need to manually upgrade via FTP. It's unable to create the directory because it already exists and WordPress isn't handling the upgrade properly and overwriting it. So you will need to upgrade via FTP.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday December 20, 2010 | Permalink
  4. idealists

Hi Carl

Which directory already exists? I can verify that the "wp-content/upgrade/gravityforms_1.tmp/gravityforms" directory doesn't exist. (but ""wp-content/upgrade/" does exist of course in all WP installs)
    Is there a known solution to get automatic updates to work again?
    Also I couldn't find a "how to" on how hot manually update (FTP files, DB as well?). Sorry if I missed it.
    Thanks much,

5. I haven't encountered this issue so i'm not 100% sure how to get them working again. You may want to try the WordPress.org support forums to see if there are other users with the same issue. If the directory doesn't exist, WordPress shouldn't be throwing an error and saying it does. Soit's very odd.

Upgrading Gravity Forms manually via FTP is no different than installing Gravity Forms the first time via FTP with the exception being you are overwriting the files instead of upgrading from scratch.

Installation directions are here:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/installing-gravity-forms/

You don't need to do anything to the DB, just replace the existing Gravity Forms files with the new Gravity Forms plugin files and then activate Gravity Forms and it will make any DB updates it needs to make.

6. idealists

Thanks Carl

I guess there error itself is a bit generic, and doesn't specify that the directory already exists, just that it can't create the temporary directory, possibly for other reasons.
    I have checked and there are no subdirectories in the upgrade/ directory.

7. I've experienced this issue with gravityforms_1.6.4.4 and I believe it might be more of a permissions issue but I can't be sure. Specifically, in my case, I have a site on Amazon EC2 on IIS and it might have something to do with some assumption that it's setup on Apache/cPanel.

Certainly one could manually upload via FTP however I leverage the installer though InfiniteWP (www.InfiniteWP.com) which enables me to manage all my sites from a single dashboard.

So - I'd like to know of a solution that will work with the WordPress Installer.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday June 13, 2012 | Permalink
  8. David Peralty

Are you able to upload/update other plugins currently? If not, then it is a permissions issue. Making sure your wp-content folder can be written to by plugins as they make their temporary files for installing and upgrading is key.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday June 14, 2012 | Permalink