PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Existing Custom Fields Not Being Recognized

1. I reviewed the forums and found reference to a problem that I'm also having. The topic can be found here: http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/16411-bug-existing-custom-fields-not-being-recognized

I read the reply indicating that there needed to be posts created with the post meta filled out before GF would recognize the filed as "existing" in the existing field name drop down.

I'm using GF with Testimonials by WooThemes to create a user submission forum for testimonials. I have been able to successfully map GF to the Testimonials custom post type but not it's fields.

I did create/publish several test testimonials with all the Testimonials fields filled out but GF still doesn't not recognize them as existing. Testimonials uses the following fields:

gravatar_email, byline, url

These fields are all stored in an array so I'm not sure if that might be the problem in why they are not showing up? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday March 27, 2013 | Permalink
  2. If the fields do not show up as existing, you can still type them in manually. Have you already tried that?

I'm not sure how that plugin stored it's meta information, but if you can find out the format, you can use Gravity Forms to save data in the same format.

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday March 31, 2013 | Permalink
  3. Their meta fields are being stored in an array.

I did try to create one of the fields manually (i.e "byline") but it didn't seem to work. Any info that I entered when creating a new submission didn't sync up with the byline field in the testimonial plugin.

Did I miss a step?

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday April 2, 2013 | Permalink
  4. When trying to integrate Gravity Forms with other plugins that store data in custom fields, I would recommend looking at an existing custom field which was created by the plugin. Once you have the exact name of the key and the format they're using to store the data, you can make Gravity Forms store the data in exactly the same way.

Can you show a screenshot of the database record where Woo Testimonials is storing the data correctly? If you can show the actual values, that is even better. You can paste the actual text here, if it is a small amount, or at pastebin.com or pastie.org if it's lengthy.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday April 2, 2013 | Permalink
  5. Hey Chris,

Thanks for posting. I re-read your messages and went digging in my DB for the exact meta format. I had assumed, from looking at the Woo Testimonials code, that it was being stored as keys byline, url, and gravatar_email. Based on that I tested it by creating a new custom field name via GF called byline (since the fields weren't showing up via the existing option) but the info would not sync up.

What I found in the DB (wp_postmeta) was that the plugin actually uses _byline, _url, _gravatar_email. Doh!

I tried testing again by creating a new custom field name using _byline and low and behold the data showed up.

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday April 3, 2013 | Permalink
  6. You're welcome. Thanks for the update.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday April 8, 2013 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.