PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Export Data, comma separators.. importing to Excel is a problem

1. lizat

Hi,

My form has data organised across the page as well as down.

When exporting i get a comma separating the row data and a vertical bar between the fields on the same row. When I import to Excel this is problematic good since some of the data entries are text that is written in paragraphs with punctuation.

My questions are:

Can I specify the filed delimiter?
    Can I have the same delimiter between all fields irrespective of the row and field design?

Thank you....................... liz

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday March 9, 2013 | Permalink
  2. lizat

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.......................... liz

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday March 12, 2013 | Permalink
  3. David Peralty

You certainly can change the separators -
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_export_separator

4. lizat

Hi David,

I've tried the suggested page, and yes it does it; but I still have a problem with multi-field rows and also a the free text fields that have mutiple paragraphs. I would like to have posted a picture with this but it doesn't seem possible to do file attachements. I could send you a link and password but don't want to post it here. Let me know if I can send you this another way.

Meanwhile I will try to describe the form which is long but has lines like this for example:

Line 1: FieldName = Household Name, Field Type = Single Text Line
    Line 2: FieldName = Members of Household, FieldType = List with Mutiple Columns
    ........... Columns are Name, profession, Date of Birth, Relationship to first householder, Notes
    Line3: FieldName = Outside Notes, Field Type = Paragraph
    Line 3: FieldName = Shared Facilities, FieldType = List with Multiple Columns

The multi-column fields look as if they use a "pipe" symbol to separate but somehow this isn't recognised when I get to import to Excel.
    The paragraph fields don't get brought in in teh same Excel row but the next down.

I spent a lot of time pursuading the group to complete this information on-line and now I am in danger of them thinking it was a waste of time becasue we have to manually massge the data into a good shape for presenting off-line.

If you have any suggestion I would be very grateful,

Liz

5. David Peralty

When you import into Excel, you have to tell it to also use the pipe character as a separator. http://superuser.com/questions/291445/how-do-you-change-default-delimiter-in-the-text-import-in-excel You should be able to use what you want, and the pipe symbol to have the data separate out better.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday March 14, 2013 | Permalink