PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Fatal Error

1. JeniDawson

Attempting to install and I'm getting a fatal error. I've downloaded the latest version of the plugin, and i'm running on wordpress 3.0.0 (installing manually by dragging and dropping into the plugins folder..)

Anything I should be doing differently?

Posted 13 years ago on Monday August 23, 2010 | Permalink
  2. JeniDawson

also, website is: http://www.jenidawson.com

error is:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/31/d334498185/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/gravityforms.php on line 53

3. JeniDawson

FYI, I'm running PHP5 as well, tried deactivating all other plugins and then reactivating with no luck.

Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

4. You said you are running PHP5, however that error message is a PHP version error message. Running PHP 4 or earlier is the only reason you would get that error message. There is nothing to troubleshoot. The cause is the PHP version.

Whatever is telling you that PHP5 is active you may need to double check or you may have activated PHP5 and there is a delay in it actually being activated.

5. JeniDawson

when i set up the database from my admin panel with 1and1, (which was about a month ago) the PHP5 choice was selected, and when I check on it now it's telling me PHP5...

any other solutions? or how do i change it to PHP5 if it already says PHP5?

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday August 24, 2010 | Permalink
  6. You will need to double check with your web host, maybe contact support. But that error message would not occur if you really were running PHP5 because it is a PHP error message related to the version... it can't use functionality that exists in PHP5 so it throws an error.

7. With 1&1, when you set up the database, you were looking at MySQL version 5, not PHP version 5. 1&1 still uses PHP4 by default, so you need to add this single line to the .htaccess file in the root of your WordPress install.

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

Because you are using permalinks already, you have an .htaccess file. Just find it and add this line to the top, above the WordPress stuff.

8. JeniDawson

ahhh thank you so much illinoisharley, worked!

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday August 25, 2010 | Permalink
  9. I am having this same issue as well, however, there isn't an .htaccess file in the root directory of my WP install. :( Suggestions?

I am not a programmer, so it's probably just user error. ;-)

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday November 4, 2010 | Permalink
  10. User error ... figured it out. ;-)~

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday November 4, 2010 | Permalink