PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Feature Request - Duplicate Field

1. I have a drop down with 6 entries, validation, and a custom validation message. I have to duplicate this 15 times with validation rules (making a registration form for up to 15 participants.)

It would be nice if there were a "Duplicate field" option in the editor.

Thanks!

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday July 31, 2010 | Permalink
  2. media50

Yes, I would love to see a "Duplicate field" feature be implemented.

For long forms, it is a pain to add a field, only to have it show up on the bottom of the form, then have to drag it up to where you need it ONLY then having to duplicate the efforts to manually duplicate a field, like a many-option drop-down field.

BTW, thanks for creating such a kick-ass form utility. Even with having to manually duplicate fields, GF is a great time-saver and a great tool. to work with.

Thanks.

Posted 13 years ago on Friday August 20, 2010 | Permalink
  3. I'd like to third this motion for being able to duplicate fields.

After using GF for the last 24 hours, I do love it mightily. The two biggest requests I'd have are for the duplicate field ability and the option to have groups of fields lined up horizontally without having to add custom CSS to float them.

Some kind of fieldset integration to break up forms into sections might assist in this. You define a fieldset, add fields to it, then apply overall settings for that fieldset such as alignment, inline, blocks, bg color, etc. The entire fieldset or any field in it could be duplicated in the same overall form.

This would assist greatly in building long forms such as an Employment Application where you ask people to fill out details about their previous 3 employers, all of which require the same set of fields.

Anyway, just some thoughts...

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday September 14, 2010 | Permalink
  4. brubrant2

I would love this feature too. What I'm trying to do is exactaly what @willc describes:

This would assist greatly in building long forms such as an Employment Application where you ask people to fill out details about their previous 3 employers, all of which require the same set of fields.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday October 4, 2010 | Permalink
  5. Brad

I agree! (That's five votes.) :)

Having a 'Duplicate Field' option next to the 'Edit' and 'Delete' options whenever you hover over a field would be super handy. My form is a ground transportation reservation form with pickup and drop-off location fields. I'm having to recreate the same fields (mostly dropdowns and address fields with conditional logic) twice for both pickup and dropoff locations. It would be much more efficient if I could just click 'Duplicate Field' on whichever field I wanted to duplicate and drag it to the appropriate place.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday November 4, 2010 | Permalink
  6. joining in with support for duplicating field

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday November 10, 2010 | Permalink
  7. This feature does make a lot of sense. Meanwhile, you could export the form, duplicate the field in the XML (remember to update the IDs) and re-import it.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday November 10, 2010 | Permalink
  8. earlgreen

I just want to chime in and say that a duplicate field would be a great addition to a great bit of kit. I have only been using it for a few hours and the ease of use and fluidity of it is great, but... I need to duplicate some fields, and don't know XML.

Please consider this for the next update.

BTW did I say how great this plugin was?

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday December 1, 2010 | Permalink
  9. I was hoping to find how to use a duplicate feature, but it looks like that is not available yet.
    I need that badly for all the forms I create.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday December 14, 2010 | Permalink
  10. Another vote for duplicate field from me. I previously used Wufoo forms which had that functionality, although Gravity Forms is better in every other respect. I have a large number of fields, each with pre-defined values and CSS Styles.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday December 19, 2010 | Permalink
  11. +1 for duplicate/copy field feature!

Posted 13 years ago on Monday December 20, 2010 | Permalink
  12. Since posting, I've successfully tried the XML method Alex suggested on November 10.

For what I am doing, it is probably an easier method, although I still think duplicate field functionality would be a little more "icing on the cake" of what is a fantastic product.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday December 20, 2010 | Permalink
  13. Yet another vote for duplicate field options. I saw the suggestion to use XML but am not even going to go there to ask how that is done...

Look forward to this added feature to make the process quicker to make multiple forms with duplicate fields.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday January 11, 2011 | Permalink
  14. I was also able to duplicate a large series of fields via the xml file (export form, edit it and upload). Also important to note that you need to change the field id numbers and form title.
    That being said, a "duplicate field" feature is really needed for the developers and the product itself. Additionally, I find it very tedious to add fields to the bottom of the form and drag them all the way up to the desired location.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday January 12, 2011 | Permalink
  15. Yep, we know. UI improvements and duplicate field functionality on are still on the to-do list for a future version. We've been busy adding lots of other functionality and should get to those things soon.

16. Thanks for the response @Kevin!

17. Glad to hear that it is on a list of future upgrades as I would love to see duplicate field added.

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday February 26, 2011 | Permalink
  18. Marosh

Kevin, I know there is a lot of functionality on the list. I just hope that duplicate field is somewhere on the top of the list :-) I really appreciated work you do. Thanks all your team.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday March 23, 2011 | Permalink
  19. With this feature, it would be really nice for it to actually be implemented for the user to be able to add additional pre defined fields.

Example:

A submission form to apply for something.

We request 1 to 5 different images(link, text).
    We build one image upload field and in the advanced options check a box that says multi fields of this type, then a quantity box to specify how many times we might want the user to submit the type of data.

Each time the user uploads an image a new image upload field shows till the maximun specified has been uploaded. The user could submit just one image or all 5 unless the field was marked as required.

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday April 2, 2011 | Permalink
  20. @Alex - thanks for the XML export suggestion - worked brilliantly and saved me wasting a few hours of life! Cheers

Really hope this feature gets developed soon too!

Posted 13 years ago on Monday April 4, 2011 | Permalink
  21. twessel

+1 for this feature.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday May 26, 2011 | Permalink
  22. Meredy

ditto on the duplicate fields--but in the meantime I wish there was a step by step explanation of how to export the xml...guess I will try that now! OMG--just did it--so easy...just hit export file--open the xml file in a text editor--copy and paste the whole section you want to duplicate--go through and change id numbers, save xml file, go back to wordpress forms, upload the saved file and bingo, you have a new form to work with. You guys ROCK! Now if only styling form fields horizontally was that easy I'd be set for life!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 15, 2011 | Permalink
  23. @Meredy Just make sure the field ids when manipulating the XML are unique. You can't have duplicate field ids. So if you are manually editing the XML before importing... make sure the field id's are unique, sequential and numeric only.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 15, 2011 | Permalink
  24. mark.dillon

+1 for this feature.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 29, 2011 | Permalink
  25. Raoni

One more for Duplicate Fields!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday June 29, 2011 | Permalink
  26. agreed! +1 :)

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday July 19, 2011 | Permalink
  27. Duplicate Fields is planned for Gravity Forms v1.6 which will be the next feature release. There may be a maintenance release between now and then if necessary, but v1.6 is scheduled to be the next major release.

28. Thanks Carl! Perfecto.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.