PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

File Upload & Upload Path

1. SunPrinting

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

Creating a file submission form for a commercial printing company that takes in multiple large files (.pdf, .indd, .zip, .doc, etc.) all-day, everyday. Their old site had a 2-way FTP protocol that allows users to see the files they sent and the ability for this company to put files up for customers to download (proofs, white papers, etc.) . Here are some of my questions...

1) Suggested file size limit for WP/GF? I know how to change it, just looking for suggestions on what to limit it to...100mb, 500mb, 1gb?

2) Can GF work as a 2-way FTP application? If not, could someone please provide suggestions on how to integrate something like that with GF?

3) Can the upload path be redirected to a folder onto a server? Or, can it be redirected to a static IP address?

4) I love the functionality of an email being sent with the file link to the designated recipient. Instead of clicking on the link and having it open in reader or any other application, can that link be designed to just simple download the file?

I am in no why an expert programmer so any information would be greatly appreciated. I am on a short deadline with this project and would be willing to bring on a freelance developer to help me out with some of these issues/questions. Would this be a proper forum to ask for help for hire?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday September 24, 2012 | Permalink
  2. 1) Suggested file size limit for WP/GF? I know how to change it, just looking for suggestions on what to limit it to...100mb, 500mb, 1gb?

This largely has nothing to do with with WordPress or Gravity Forms. There will be upload file size restrictions in PHP and possible time out limits for script execution. You will need to check the configuration of Apache and PHP to be sure your script does not time out, and to ensure that the size of the file you're uploading does not exceed some configured limit.

2) Can GF work as a 2-way FTP application? If not, could someone please provide suggestions on how to integrate something like that with GF?

Gravity Forms does not really work like that. You could make the upload folder indexable and readable by everyone, but I don't think that is really what you want to do. However, you could always offer FTP access to the specific upload folder. That would be outside of Gravity Forms.

3) Can the upload path be redirected to a folder onto a server? Or, can it be redirected to a static IP address?

You can use the gform_upload_path filter to change where Gravity Forms stores the uploaded files: http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_upload_path

4) I love the functionality of an email being sent with the file link to the designated recipient. Instead of clicking on the link and having it open in reader or any other application, can that link be designed to just simple download the file?

This is functionality on the client end. The email client or browser can be configured with helper applications to either open or download a file. When the user clicks, what happens with the file is a function of how they have configured their local machine. You don't have any control over that.

I am in no why an expert programmer so any information would be greatly appreciated. I am on a short deadline with this project and would be willing to bring on a freelance developer to help me out with some of these issues/questions. Would this be a proper forum to ask for help for hire?

The proper place would be our job board: http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/forum/job-board

There are also many additional resources for WordPress and Gravity Forms help online.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday September 24, 2012 | Permalink