PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

generating custom url based on dropdown selection - confirmation screen

1. ascedia

I would like to create a custom confirmation screen with custom URL based on the item selected from a dropdown in the form. The confirmation message itself is not important, but that it generates the same URL each time is important.

For instance, if the options in the dropdown are Red, Blue and Green, I would like the URL to look something like:

http://mysite.com/confirmation/?Blue

Since some of the options in the dropdown may have spaces, I may need to predefine the url based on the options, like

Blue = blue
    Light Blue = ltblue

etc.

Thank you!

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 3, 2012 | Permalink
  2. You can use a "Redirect" for your confirmation, and then build a query string which includes this value from your form. On the form settings page, click the "Confirmation" tab and then the radio button "Redirect." In the box, enter the base URL, the part which never changes. Then check the box "Pass Field Data Via Query String" and put the query string there. No need to begin with a ? as it will be included for you. So, you might want to start with color= and then from the drop down, choose the field which holds your color value.

When you create your drop down, be sure to check the box "Enable values" and enter your url-safe values there (like ltblue where the label is Light Blue).

Does that accomplish what you need to do?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 3, 2012 | Permalink
  3. ascedia

Hi! This is great, I followed your instructions and have it ALMOST working exactly as I need. The issue is with the url output. I "enabled values" in the dropdown and put in the values I want appended to the URL, but even after those are saved, it's still only outputting the label, not the value.
    The URL it's generating is ?Light+Blue (the label in the dropdown)
    and I need ?ltblue (the value in the dropdown)
    Is there another option I need to enable for it to use the values instead of the label?
    Thanks for your help.
    Jamie

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday December 6, 2012 | Permalink
  4. You can append :value to your merge tag and it should output the value of that field instead. That should do the trick for you. Here is our complete documentation on merge tags:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Merge_Tags

Posted 11 years ago on Friday December 7, 2012 | Permalink