PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

gravit forms expanding 'category' field choice

1. anointed

I have created numerous custom taxonomies both hierarchical and non for my post types.

Currently in gravity I only see the choice for categories. I can't find the area, if it exists yet, to choose my custom taxonomy and then choose the terms belonging to the custom taxonomy just like the current categories do.

Is this functionality available yet?

scenario:
    Movies post type has custom tax 'actors' I would like to show the actors terms in a dropdown within gravity, like we can do with cats. This would be used in a front end gravity input form for allowing users to add a movie post type.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday May 30, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Custom Post Types and Custom Taxonomy are not currently support as a native feature in the Gravity Forms admin UI. HOWEVER they are both supported via hooks that you can use and some custom PHP you place in your themes function.php file.

See these threads:

http://forum.gravityhelp.com/topic/add-a-form-to-create-a-new-custom-post-type

http://forum.gravityhelp.com/topic/custom-taxonomies

We do plan on adding custom post type and custom taxonomy directly within the admin UI after WordPress 3.0 is released. So it will be a feature you can control from the admin in an upcoming release.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday May 31, 2010 | Permalink
  3. anointed

@Carl
    The link you pointed me to works great for custom taxonomies 'tags' but does not work with replacing categories. I do appreciate the link though. It gives me the concept that I need, but I could not find the corresponding function in wp to generate the same concept for gf 'categories' drop downs.

Yes I understand how wp works with taxonomies. Basically my custom post-type does not contain a 'category' choice, but uses a custom hierarchical taxonomy called 'series'.

When I use the code from the above example to replace the 'tags' logic, then I end up with a tags box that the user has to fill in.

I'm trying to use the gf 'categories' drop down logic. Where I define my category as a custom taxonomy.

This would force my users into using only taxonomy terms from series that I allow via drop down.

hope this makes sense.

4. Yes, it makes sense. We can look at adding the ability to utilize dropdown and checkboxes for tag input in a future release.

5. anointed

You gave me reference to a function above that allows me to 'override' the tags input to use my own custom taxonomy tags. That worked perfectly for what it was.

Is there no such ability to do the same thing with the category choice like we can with tags?

I'm comfortable adding functions to my functions.php file. It's just knowing what to hook into and how to modify it that gets me a bit stuck. Basically I'm just to new to using gravity to know what all I can do with it right now. I am reading through all the code to figure it out though.

thanks

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday June 1, 2010 | Permalink
  6. Yes, the example was just using the tags input. You can do the same thing with the category input using the same code only modified to target the correct field.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday June 1, 2010 | Permalink
  7. Hi Carl

I'm waiting for custom taxonomy getting included directly in forms for Posts. Considering WP 3.0 is out, any idea when we'll be getting it?

Regards
    Nitin

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday June 20, 2010 | Permalink
  8. We are finishing up development on our new WordPress product and then we will be releasing a new version of Gravity Forms. It should be in the next major release. I can't give you a date just yet.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday June 21, 2010 | Permalink