PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Gravity forms for a product catalogue...

1. I’m looking to establish a product catalog for myself and friends in the architectural industry for use as a reference. I want users to be able to submit (via a form and only when logged in) specific details regarding a company (ie. The products they offer, where they are located, email, phone, etc. etc.).

Is it possible to use gravity-forms to upload information from custom fields to a mysql database and then post the info to a results page when queried? I want users to be able to sift through the various entries via the equivalent of tags and categories in blog posts.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Nally

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday November 17, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Gravity Forms stores form submissions in your WordPress database. Out of the box these entries are only viewable in the WordPress admin by an administrator.

Gravity Forms can also be used to create WordPress Posts out of the form submission through the use of the Post Fields when creating a form.

So what you want to do is going to depend on how you want to implement it. It only provides the form functionality, so it's not going to provide front end functionality for displaying, searching and sorting results.

If you are fine with using WordPress Posts for the "listings" then you could use Gravity Forms to create these posts. Then create custom theme templates to present these posts however you want to present them on the front end of your site. Doing this would allow you to use categories, tags, etc.

But again, Gravity Forms is only going to handle the form part of this puzzle. The rest would be on you to implement using WordPress.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday November 17, 2011 | Permalink
  3. Hey Carl,

Thanks for the feedback! I think I understand what you're saying.

So I can publish a custom form (maybe on a Submit Product page) using gravity forms and allow logged-in users to 'post' to the catalog (blog) directly from the form (perhaps as Guests without any additional blogging privileges). I can have fields in the form such as check-boxes for product type, location, email, phone, etc, etc, which will show up in the post depending on how I format the "Search Results" page. I assume there's some good documentation to go along with this process?

If the form content is submitted as a blog post, am I still able to review the post before making it public?? Sorry for the verbal diarrhea, this prospect has me really excited, if it works it will be a LOT less work then designing every aspect from the ground-up.

Best,

Mike

Posted 12 years ago on Friday November 18, 2011 | Permalink
  4. To answer all your questions: yes. And where there is no documentation we are happy to help you accomplish what you need to do.

Regarding the last point, posts created by form submissions can be Pending, Draft or Public. If you make them Pending or Draft, they will need to be approved by an administrator before they are visible on the front end.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday November 18, 2011 | Permalink