PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Help selecting appropriate license

1. jmires

Hi,

I'm a freelance developer, new to Gravity Forms. I'm going to use it for a client, and am trying to decide what license to purchase. For functionality, they probably only really need the personal license, but I'm wondering if the developer license would make sense for me, as I'm likely to have other clients throughout the year that would benefit from Gravity Forms.

My questions:
    1. If I buy a developer license, does it expire at the end of a year, or do I just lose access to upgrades/support at that time? In other words, can I pay $199, and install it on unlimited sites beyond one year, even if I don't upgrade?

2. If I get a developer license and install it on a client's site, are they somehow using my account information? If they need support from Gravity, can they get it, or do they need to go through me?

3. If I get a developer license, install it on client sites, and then later decide to stop using Gravity Forms for new clients, what happens to the old clients? I understand their forms will continue to work, but what if they want to do upgrades? Can they convert their installation to a personal or business license?

4. If I buy a client a personal (or business license), what happens after the 1 year mark?

5. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday December 14, 2011 | Permalink
  2. 1. You lose access to support and upgrades at that time. You can continue installing the plugin, but you would be using the last version available while your license was valid. You would want to download the plugin and save it, as you will lose access to the downloads page when your license expires.

2. If you use your license on their site, and turn it over to them, they need to get support from you. Otherwise, they would need your log in here to get support.

3. Yes, they can get a new license to have access to upgrades and support. They would just change the license key.

4. Same as above.

5. The nice thing about the developer license is that you get access to all the current and future add-ons, including the upcoming authorize.net add-on. If add-ons are at all important to you, I would recommend the developer license. That's the license I purchased 2 years ago, long before I started doing forum support for Rocketgenius/Gravity Forms, and I have never regretted it.

If you have more questions, please let us know. I think with the developer license you will find yourself using the plugin on every WordPress site you build. When you turn the sites over, you can recommend the client purchase their own personal or business license, and you can be free of support duties. If you get paid for continuing support, then having them come to you for support is not a bad thing, and it would enable you to upgrade your license annually.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday December 15, 2011 | Permalink
  3. jmires

Thanks - very clear answers to all my questions. I think the developer license may be the way to go. Thanks again for spelling everything out so clearly!

4. Glad the information helped. Please let us know if you need any additional information before purchasing. Thanks.

5. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but from what I do understand is that after 1 year I still wish to continue getting support and considered 'your customer' I will need to pay, again, for the same tool? How much is this renwal going to cost me? And does anyone else feel this pricing model is slightly skewed? Surely calling it a 'subscription' is more inline.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday January 6, 2012 | Permalink
  6. dochara

I am not sure whether you'd strictly call it a subscription or not, you still have a perpetual license to use the version you purchased.

I am nearing the end of my first year using GF. I have a developer licence and I did hesitate before buying, primarily because it looked like becoming yet another annual payment. Now I can say that I don't think there was ever money better spent. It is so very simple to integrate with custom plugins, saves so much time (countless hours) with complicated forms or even just throwing up a quick contact form, makes for very happy clients and, certainly in my case, has paid for itself many times over in the year. Of all the annual payments I make for services or whatever, this one is for me a complete no-brainer.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday January 6, 2012 | Permalink
  7. Steve,

I don't understand what you might construe as "skewed" by the pricing. Most software providers charge for new versions and don't give you free updates in perpetuity. Try purchasing a software package from Adobe you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Our license/pricing model allows us to continually support, improve and extend the capabilities of the product. A one time, free updates forever pricing model just isn't sustainable.

Technically it's not a subscription to the plugin or "tool" as you described it itself. A subscription would imply that when the time period ended, the "tool" would cease to work/function which it does not. If you choose not to renew your support license, the plugin itself will still function normally as long as the WordPress environment support and works with that version.

By renewing your license, you get continued access to the support resources, documentation and also the the automatic plugin updates (bug fixes, new versions, WordPress compatibility releases, etc)

The annual license renewal rates are approximately 50% of the original license/purchase price. Most people (as in the case of the user who posted above) find the pricing structure to be fair and on par with the level of service they receive.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday January 10, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Anonymous
    Unregistered

This is a very informative thread except it leaves out where the business license falls in this picture. I am a consultant who will probably be doing a lot of sites calling for Gravity Forms, but my business is just starting up. If I purchase a business license am I able to install it on different clients sites? What would I pay if I want to upgrade to developer, and is there a time limit in relation to the purchase date? My questions are actually quite similar to jmires, except substitute "business" for "developer." Thanks

Posted 12 years ago on Friday March 2, 2012 | Permalink