PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

HTML and Text Notifications?

1. jigsaw-internet

Hi,

Thanks for a great plugin, i've been using GF for years and it really is amazing!

I'm wondering whether anybody can help me with this particular problem though. I am usually happy to simply have text notifications to users and occasionally a client requests HTML notifications which I can get to work well. However on this occasion I really need to be able to provide both text and HTML notifications, this is actually very good practice to avoid ISP spam filters and also to provide for users that can't receive HTML emails.

So is there anyway to make this happen with GravityForms notifications? It doesn't seem to be obvious at least but i'm prepared to put some work in to make it happen if it is at all possible!

Thanks in advance!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday August 17, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Currently notifications are HTML only as this is the most widely used. The upcoming v1.6 will have an option to use a hook to set the notification to send as plain text if you want.

We also have plans for an advanced notification add-on that will add more advanced features and functionality such as conditional notifications, as many notifications as you want per form, plain text and html in one notification, etc.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday August 17, 2011 | Permalink
  3. jigsaw-internet

Thanks for the info!

Any rough ETA on 1.6 and the add-on?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday August 18, 2011 | Permalink
  4. Gravity Forms v1.6 should be released as a beta release sometime next week. As for an ETA on an advanced notification add-on... I don't have one. Until it's in active development anything I say would be pure guesswork. Currently Gravity Forms v1.6 and the Authorize.Net Add-On are in development.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday August 18, 2011 | Permalink
  5. Leslie

Hello,

I recently purchased Gravity Forms and love it! I am having a problem with the notifications, however. Your post mentions that these emails are automatically sent out in HTML format (looking for the notification/confirmation sent to the sender of the form) , but mine are coming through in text format. I am getting the Admin email notifications in HTML though. Is it only the Admin email that is in HTML?

Thanks -

Posted 12 years ago on Friday August 19, 2011 | Permalink
  6. Both notifications are HTML. Did you turn off Auto-formatting for the user notification?

7. Leslie

I have since figured out to just add some HTML code into the confirmation dialogue box (duh), but wondering how to use any normal HTML plugin that has been suggested in some of these posts. I have basically just taken some of the code from these templates, but the actual plugins aren't working with it...guess it's a moot point, but just curious.

8. Sounds like you're talking about something other than the emails now? If so, please start a new topic.

Are your email notifications both in the format you want now?

9. Leslie

The confirmation is coming through now in HTML if I apply code within the Gravity Form itself, yes, not using the plugin (will start a new topic). The 'from name', however, in the Notification to Administrator box is not coming through as labeled. It is coming through as to how I have it set up on the backend in Wordpress.

10. @Leslie Are you using the Magic Members plugin by chance? I know it has code in place to set the send from email address and it overrides any other plugins. It's possible this could be the issue, if you aren't using Magic Members then another plugin or possibly your theme could be causing this issue. You may have to test for theme and plugin conflicts if this is the case to determine where the issue is coming from:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Testing_for_a_Theme/Plugin_Conflict

11. Leslie

Okay, I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the reply.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday August 21, 2011 | Permalink
  12. I desperately need to send notifications as plain text. Can you instruct me which code to change to enable this myself? I'm no stranger to PHP. Thanks!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday August 24, 2011 | Permalink
  13. Search common.php for text/html and you should find the line that sets the mail header. It needs to be changed to text/plain.

A hook to send plain text emails will be in the Gravity Forms v1.6 so that this can be done without changing core plugin files.

14. Thanks!

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.