PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Install Problem: FAILS ON INSTALL, cant find help on forum

1. Apologies couldnt find post but found on faq not sure why search didn't find this?

Seems I need PHP 5.0 doesnt tell me that on the how to install?

I will amend on server and let you know folks if resolved.

Why do I get an 'unexpected T_STRING' PHP error when installing Gravity Forms?
    This error typically happens because of a PHP version conflict.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /.../../../wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/gravityforms.php on line..
    Gravity Forms requires PHP5+ and judging from this error you are probably trying to activate the plugin on a site running PHP4. Check with your web host and make sure you have PHP5 enabled.

ORIGINAL POST:>
    I am installing upload of your plugin as a zip file to Wordpress 3.0.01 and using Headway Framework which I believe works fine with your plugin BUT the following error returned:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /homepages/32/d345056548/htdocs/cmbc_wp_1live/wp-content/plugins/gravityforms/gravityforms.php on line 59

which in my first reading looks like a bug or is it something in our standard install, we have installed other plugins like askimet and hello dolly (just basics) but not a problem and rest of install is all working fine. Please can you help, we want to go to developer licen, but need to see it work on our one site first. Thanks in advance keen as mustard in the uk to use your valuable and well-regarded Plugin. @intriguingnw on twitter.
    Regards Amanda

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday November 27, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Installing PHP5 is not something you can normally do yourself on shared hosting. It's usually a configuration change. If you post a URL to your site, or advise which host you are using, someone can help you configure it so your server uses PHP5. Once that's accomplished, Gravity Forms will work great.

3. Thanks so much for your reply, you are of course correct and I have just fixed the problem myself by a change on the host domains configuration file .htaccess, theis was 1and1 as the host

it just needed this change

with opening and closing wordpress calls

Type x-mapp-php5 .php

the other lines were some server aberration. Many thanks, now have a form working perfecto I think, most happy.
    Thanks again Amanda