PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Is it possible? Force all checkboxes = yes

1. Had two questions that I was hoping to find out today.

1. Is it possible to set the validation of a Checkbox control to force the user to select EVERY option prior to submitting. I wanted to use this control for a series of related "read here if you understand" kind of statements, and wanted to user to check off all boxes before submitting.

2. Is it possible to allow a user-defined option in either the multiple choice or check boxes control? So... is there something that would allow the user to say "Other:" and then specify what he or she meant?

Thanks!
    Steve Ryan

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday April 21, 2011 | Permalink
  2. 1) Required field validation only checks that one of the checkboxes in a field is checked. You'd have to use multiple checkbox fields (one for each) with each set as required to do this or write your own custom validation using the gform_validation hook.

2) Currently there is no user defined option in the multiple choice or checkbox field. It's a feature we plan on adding as an option in the future. For now you'd have to use conditional logic and display a text field if the user selects "Other" and they'd enter their value in the text field.

3. Great, thanks for the quick reply.

Just to complete the thought, I quickly combined all of the choices into one uber-choice in the checkbox control, separating them with a pair of <br/> tags. Worked like a charm.

And did exactly as you suggested for the "other" choice on the Checkbox/Multiple Choice control. Conditional logic and an additional choice. I actually think I like this option a little better now that I've seen it in action, too. :)

Thanks again!
    Steve Ryan

4. I was looking for exactly that option too, the ability to force multiple checkboxes to be required. I think this should be considered as an option for future updates.

I was also looking for the 2nd item, but I agree, the conditional logic works great.

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday September 4, 2011 | Permalink
  5. I also wanted this feature. Tried many ways to get the "checked" attribute of the checkbox from Gravity Forms but no joy. Ended up looking in the $_POST global and found what I needed.

The function I now use can be found at:

https://gist.github.com/4578295

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday January 20, 2013 | Permalink
  6. Additionally, developer David Smith posted this solution as well:
    http://gravitywiz.com/2012/06/11/limiting-how-many-checkboxes-can-be-checked/

Posted 11 years ago on Monday January 28, 2013 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.