PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Item description to Freshbooks

1. Is there a way to send a form field to the "description" field in Freshbooks?

I am trying to create a form that will allow customers to order apparel for screenprinting. I would like to pass a brand & size into the description field of a Freshbooks estimate. Is this possible?

Posted 13 years ago on Monday December 13, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Currently no, the value can only be a single field if populating the data from form fields. It would be possible to do so via customization and using hooks, but you'd have to create a hidden field and then populate that hidden field with the values of your other fields dynamically using PHP and hooks. How familiar are you with PHP?

3. So I'd need to pass data from multiple fields into one hidden field, and then pass the contents of the hidden field to the Description in Freshbooks?

I'm good with PHP, but I haven't done much with GF's API hooks yet.

4. Yes, that is probably what you would have to do to accomplish this right now. I'll have one of our developers post some sample code on how to take the value of two fields, combine them and store them as the value as a hidden field. Keep watching this post... may take them a little time to respond here as we are pretty busy right now and this is more of a customization type request.

5. Hi Awfulcool,

Try pasting this in your themes functions.php file: http://pastie.org/1376398

This little snippet will output a small bit of javascript when the form is loaded. When the form is submitted, this javascript is triggered and populates the hidden field with the combined values of the brand and size fields. Now when you're mapping the fields on your Freshbooks field, you can map the hidden field to the description field as you desired.

Let me know if you need any clarification on this! :)

Note: this snippet assumes that jQuery is already being loaded on the front end.

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday December 14, 2010 | Permalink
  6. antonsamper

hi david, im trying to do this at the moment and on the description field, it just gives me a textbox as opposed to a dropdown with all the possible fields. Is there anything im missing?

Posted 12 years ago on Friday July 22, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.