PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

MailChimp is pulling some new subscribers but not others

1. I've used the MailChimp API for my site's main newsletter subscribe form (embedded in a sidebar widget) and haven't noticed this happening - all of the people who sign up via the form are added to my MailChimp list.

Now I'm running a couple of giveaways that I want to make exclusive for subscribers to my newsletter. This may not have been the way to go about it - maybe I should just use MailChimp to verify that a person is or isn't a subscriber. But here's the form, and what I did was to create two email fields. The first one is just to enter the giveaway, and the second one is conditional upon the answer to the question "Are you already a subscriber?" If the person answers "No," then they have to fill out a second email box which includes "I understand that by filling this out I'm subscribing to your newsletter" verbiage.

I've mapped the field for the SECOND email box to my MailChimp feed, and what I've noticed is that about half of the people who click "No, sign me up" and fill out their email a second time are added to the MailChimp list. The other half - aren't. But they're showing up in my GF dashboard as having filled out their email addresses a second time. Everything seems to be exactly the same as far as people who were added versus people who weren't.

Is there some other setting I need to change?

I'm also wondering if there's a better way to create the form such that people don't have to enter their email twice to enter the contest if they're not subscribers - but people who are subscribers already don't end up being subscribed twice...maybe I should just count on MailChimp to screen them?

Posted 12 years ago on Sunday September 25, 2011 | Permalink
  2. I actually have the exact same question. Can you have them input their email address and then click a checkbox if they need to be added to mailing list?

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday September 27, 2011 | Permalink
  3. There is no need to do things this way if you are trying to protect against duplicate subscribers. You don't need 2 email fields and then ask if they are already a subscriber or not. MailChimp isn't going to add a duplicate subscriber. They aren't going to be subscribed twice. MailChimp doesn't allow duplicates. If a duplicate is passed to MailChimp via the API it is ignored and not added by MailChimp.

@randomtheo Yes, that is an opt-in condition. You would use a checkbox, radio button or drop down field to ask if they want to subscribe. Then in your MailChimp Feed settings using the MailChimp Add-On you would configure the opt-in condition.

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday September 27, 2011 | Permalink
  4. Okay - thanks for the answer with regard to how to set up the form; that makes sense. What I don't understand is why some of the people who do subscribe (via my convoluted form) are added to my MailChimp list, and some aren't. I haven't had this happen with my regular subscription form - only with this special form I created for a contest. Should I assume this is a MailChimp issue?

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday September 28, 2011 | Permalink
  5. @Dorian Do you have double-opt in enabled in the Gravity Forms MailChimp Feed settings for that form? It is on by default. So what is likely happening is users aren't confirming their subscription when they receive the double-opt in email from MailChimp. If they don't confirm their subscription, they won't be added.

6. I do! I'm sure you're right - that makes sense. Okay, thanks.

Signed,
    Sheepish

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.