PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Main site's name sent as From name in notifications

1. Hello,

I have an issue with the notifications sent after filling a form. I have a multisite installation and, when I create a form for a customer's site (that is, not the main site), when they receive a notification via email, they are receiving my main site's URL in the From field.

That is, imagine a user fills the form with: Name (Michael) and email (michael@gmail.com).
    Then, my customers are receiving an email from -www mymainsite.com <michael@gmail.com>-, instead of what's expected -Michael <michael@gmail.com>-

The "name" is being replaced by my main site's URL (www.mymainsite.com).

Any help on this? Is it a bug in multisite?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday November 30, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Any idea?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday December 1, 2011 | Permalink
  3. This is either going to be caused by another plugin or theme manipulating the wp_mail() function in WordPress and changing the Send From, or it's going to be a web server configuration issue that is changing the Send From after wp_mail() asks the server to send the email.

Gravity Forms passes whatever you configure in the Notifications to the wp_mail() function to send the email. After that, it's out of Gravity Forms control. If a plugin or theme has filtered the wp_mail() function in such a way that it's hardcoding or changing values, or if the server is doing things after the function is executed there isn't anything Gravity Forms can do about it.

What I would suggest doing is testing for plugin and theme conflicts. Here is information on how to do that:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Testing_for_a_Theme/Plugin_Conflict

If that turns up nothing, you could try discussing this with your web host. We had sites hosted on BlueHost a couple years ago and encountered a similar issue and it was BlueHost changing the Send From address because it was not a From address that was associated with the web site itself.

4. Ok, thanks. First I will test the theme and plugins. I have a dedicated server, so it is not likely to be the server.

5. I wouldn't rule out a server issue just because you have a dedicated server. Depending on how the server is setup to send email via PHP, it could be not allowing you to send from any Send From address and only wants you to use a Send From set to an email associated with that server itself. We've seen this type of issues firsthand with major web hosts such as BlueHost.

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 2, 2011 | Permalink
  6. You can see how David fixed this problem for me here:
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/incorrect-name-field-in-email-and-aweber

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 9, 2011 | Permalink
  7. Thank you for adding the link here Joel. Makes the solutions easier to find in the future.

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday December 10, 2011 | Permalink
  8. Hi Joel,

Thanks for your answer. I'm using "child" themes, so I tried to put the code in the "functions.php" theme's file, and it's working fine too.

Thanks again.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday January 4, 2012 | Permalink