PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

multi-language / translation capabilities

1. hey guys,

gravity forms is looking really slick.

one question i have that isn't documented anywhere is whether the plugin has multi-language and translation capabilities via .po .mo files.

i am also looking forward to post creation capabilities extendend with adding categories, tags etc. and image upload as well as a wysiwyg editor for the user. once these are part of the product, you got me clicky clicky on paypal :)

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday August 26, 2009 | Permalink
  2. Yes, Gravity Forms can be localized using language files. We plan on expanding this in the future and work with people that are interested in helping contribute the translation files. We would make the translation files available for anyone to download.

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday August 26, 2009 | Permalink
  3. I would be interested in translating it to Turkish if you'd like.

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday August 27, 2009 | Permalink
  4. That would be great. Are you familiar with using .po/.mo files and po editor for doing language translations?

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday August 27, 2009 | Permalink
  5. Yes I am familiar with them. I have translated a few plugins already..

Posted 14 years ago on Friday August 28, 2009 | Permalink
  6. Jan Egbert

I am halfway translating the plugin in Dutch. When I'm finished where should I send it?

There are some issues with translating though. For example: I translated the advanced field Address. In the editor I see the tranlsation, but on my page I see the original english text.

7. You can send any translations to carl -at- rocketgenius.com and we will check them out and make them available to users for free.

Jan, it looks like we missed a string to make localizes. We will look into it and get it updated in the next release so that it can be translated. If you run into any other strings that don't translate, just let us know and we will correct them.

8. Jan Egbert

I will make a list of untranslatable strings.

I know that the title of the plugin in the Wordpress navbar (add page, add post, etc.) is Forms. This is ok for me, but some people might want to translate that as well.

9. Thanks Jan, can't wait to make the dutch translation file available!

10. Jan Egbert

One other thing. What is your experience with translating languages? I could translate them all into dutch... but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

11. Jan Egbert

My list of untranslatable strings:

Phone format: (###)###-####
    Prefix
    First
    Last
    Suffix
    Street
    Address
    Address Line 2
    City
    State / Province
    Zip / Postal Code
    Country

All of these strings work in the editor view, but don't get translated in preview and "live view".

12. Thanks Jan, we will see that this gets corrected in the next release so that these strings can be translated.

13. tdwesten

@Jan/ @Carl, can you send my the dutch translation al ready?

Posted 14 years ago on Friday October 9, 2009 | Permalink
  14. pikomiko

Hello, me is also interested in turkish...

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday March 17, 2010 | Permalink
  15. And I am interested in the spanish version

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday March 17, 2010 | Permalink
  16. Hello,

Just before purchase...

1. Is GF compatible with WPML? (Sorry for duplicated question in feature forum)

2. Is there a catalan and spanish translation?

Thank you!

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday April 8, 2010 | Permalink
  17. We have not receive a catalan or spanish translation. We don't currently provide translation files, although we are planning on making an area where users can submit translation files and we will make them available to all users.

I have not tested Gravity Forms with the latest version of WPML and know they have overhauled how it works so I can't vouch if it is compatible or not.

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday April 11, 2010 | Permalink
  18. Thank you for your answer.

I suppose setting up a system like http://blog.glotpress.org/ will be very useful for this purpose. I have translated several plug-ins and this system is the best.

Please, consider that some of our customers don't understand english.

Also I suppose it is possible to make TWO forms for TWO versions of the same page, one version for each language.

Will that work?

Thank you.

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday April 22, 2010 | Permalink
  19. netagence

I am interested in the French localization so would like to know if someone already has it before I start from scratch, who translated into French or would be interested in having that FR localization ?

Best regards.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday April 25, 2010 | Permalink
  20. Yes it is possible to make a form for each language, however you would then have to use PHP and display the form using a function call and display the correct form based on the language. So you would have to write some custom code to accomplish that.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday April 25, 2010 | Permalink
  21. I could do the translation in german, if there is nobody else doing it.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday June 24, 2010 | Permalink
  22. Thanks Jens, if you provide the German translation files we would be glad to make it available for download here on the support site. I am going to be adding a Translations section on the download page once I receive some translations that users have done.

You can email me at carl-at-rocketgenius.com

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday June 24, 2010 | Permalink
  23. Okay, when can we expect the language files appear in the Download section?
    Can't be that hard to upload, cause we are kind of waiting long! (close to 1 year)

Please let us know when and how to exchange the Language files, thanks and br Marcel Maurice

Posted 13 years ago on Monday August 16, 2010 | Permalink
  24. I need the German translation files. Are they available for download?

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday August 18, 2010 | Permalink
  25. @rametzler I have a partial German translation. The user that sent it to me said it wasn't a complete translation. If you would like me to send this to you let me know. If you know how to edit translation files you may be able to complete the translation.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday August 18, 2010 | Permalink
  26. Thank you Carl!

First and foremost I need the frontend translations. Translations for text in the admin panel is not that important.

I allready started to translate the most important parts with poedit and but maybe there are more translations in your file.

Would you please send it to richard - at - paadee.com ?

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday August 19, 2010 | Permalink
  27. Frontend translations? The forms are dynamic. You name the fields, so there isn't anything to translate. The only exception are Advanced Field Labels (such as First Name, Last Name, Address, etc.). You can read how to change these labels on this thread:

http://forum.gravityhelp.com/topic/uk-specific-address-help#post-2327

I'll send over the German translation files we have now. If you'd like to do more work on it that would be great. We are going to add available files to the Download page.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday August 19, 2010 | Permalink
  28. bram

How do you enable a different language?

I edited some lines with txt editor and saved it,

even overwritten the standard gravityforms.pot file but it won't make a difference.

Is there a way to make the software select a language file?

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday September 12, 2010 | Permalink
  29. You don't overwrite the gravityforms.pot file, you have to use a PO editor to generate a language specific file. That file will then have a filename of something like this (German example):

gravityforms-de_DE.po

You then have to generate the MO file from this which would have a filename like:

gravityforms-de_DE.mo

Please note the example above is using German, hence the de_DE in the file extension. The .mo file would then go in the languages folder. In order to activate it you would have to setup your WordPress site to use whatever language it is.

You can't localize just the plugin, your entire WordPress install has to be localized and setup for the language you want to use.

Here is a tutorial on how to translate a WordPress plugin:

http://weblogtoolscollection.com/archives/2007/08/27/localizing-a-wordpress-plugin-using-poedit/

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday September 12, 2010 | Permalink
  30. Fabioita

I'm translating in Italian GravityForms (version 1.4.3.1), but it seems that the file gravityforms.pot is not updated, missing several strings!! I tried to add some missing strings into the original pot file, and then traslate it with Poedit, but unfortunately that does not work... the plugin continues to show the original strings in english. Check for example the string "This field requires an unique entry and '%s' has already been used" (file form_display.php, line 425), because although the string is included into my translation (gravityforms-it_IT.po) i can still see the originale one in english. Can I get an updated version of the gravityforms.pot file? Please!!

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday October 9, 2010 | Permalink
  31. Luigi

I would like to translate into Italian GravityForms. Unfortunately I can not seem to create the files ".po" and ".mo" from the source. pot offered. If someone in my community I will create the files, I will give the translation.
    Thanks.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday October 10, 2010 | Permalink
  32. Hello,
    I am also looking for a turkish translation language file. is there somewhere i can download this? or would someone mind sending me a copy if it exists?

Posted 13 years ago on Monday April 11, 2011 | Permalink
  33. Hi , the spanish translation is "half done" and I see part of it in German . I m not familiar with po or mo . how to fix it ? I get messages in english on my form . For example for email validation :
    Errors have been highlighted below.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday April 14, 2011 | Permalink
  34. @maria We have a user who is working on the translation, we are aware of the issue. It was a user supplied translation. The solution for now would be to delete the spanish translation file in the /gravityforms/languages folder. We will be releasing an update once we have been supplied an updated translation file.

We don't do the translations, we supply them as a courtesy to users and this is a good example of where we shouldn't have even included them as this has caused problems for users using that language file.

We are planning on releasing official translations later this year.

35. Ok thanks ! In the middle time and to have a quick fix : where can I change those messages quickly -I dont find it :-( ? Just for 2-3 messages regarding field validation . For the rest is perfect!
    Regards!
    Maria

-I can also give a hand to that user -

36. To change the main validation message you would use the gform_validation_message hook and some custom PHP you would add to your themes functions.php file. Here is documentation for that hook:

http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Gform_validation_message

For individual fields you can edit the field, go to the Advanced tab and configure a custom validation message.

37. Thanks worked ! Just new to gravity forms ...

Posted 13 years ago on Friday April 15, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.