PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Multiple Choice - Different labels and values

1. Hi there,

Loving Gravity Forms so far. One thing I wanted to explore the possibility of is having the label of a multiple choice (or checkbox or dropdown) selection read one thing on the public side, while the value it submits is something else.

In case this doesn't make sense, here's what I'm hoping to do: People filling out the form can choose the person to whom they want to send email by name. The value that the form stores when that name is selected though would be the person's email address so that it could be passed into the email notifications.

Would be particularly useful to me for email campaigns where people could select their local representative by name and we could forward their message to that person's email address.

Is there an existing way to do this in Gravity Forms that I haven't figured out?

Many thanks,
    Christopher

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday September 2, 2009 | Permalink
  2. Hello Christopher, currently that is not possible. But you spurred a good discussion over here about that functionality and we are going to look at it and see what we can do to make it happen.

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday September 2, 2009 | Permalink
  3. Please please PLEASE put this near the top of your feature lists for future updates. Matched with the conditional logic this would be a powerful way to enable quote tools / estimate calculators.

Usage Example
    i.e. A client wants to let their customers easily price out the rough costs on a bulk ice cream order. Using drop-downs they can specific the type(s) of ice cream they'd like to order and each one has a price to be stored in the value field.

Posted 14 years ago on Wednesday December 30, 2009 | Permalink
  4. Was any further progress made on this? It occurred to me that it might also be possible to automate it through the backend in terms of the email routing, ie. if field is this, send to ... but there's no batch way to add those, is there?

Thinking in terms of enabling people to put in their zip code and have the email be sent to their local politician. But that would be painfully slow to create.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday March 1, 2010 | Permalink
  5. This feature is planned for one of the next feature releases. I'm not sure which one it will be included in because we have a bunch of new features we are working on so it depends on a variety of factors but it is something we are going to be adding.

Please note that feature releases differ from bug fix and maintenance releases. For example, 1.3.10 was a maintenance release that primarily fixed bugs or issues and didn't introduce major new features.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday March 1, 2010 | Permalink
  6. Hi Carl,

That's fantastic. Thanks so much for your work on this. Given that I'm off to hike for the next seven months, I'll look forward to it when I come back.

CW

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday March 4, 2010 | Permalink
  7. This thread haven't been answered yet. Sorry for reviving this post again.

But i think i found the solution the create a hook for predefined choices have different value than label.

$choices["My New Choices"] = array("Choice 1|ryan1", "Choice 2|ryan2");

The Label and Value is separated by using "|" / "OR" symbol.

complete hook - http://www.pastie.org/1407894
    -tested for drop down on 1.5.rc2.2

Ryan H.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday December 27, 2010 | Permalink
  8. @osky1980 This is an old thread. The capability to have a different value was added to Gravity Forms a few releases ago. So it is a feature that is in the form builder for drop down, radio button and checkbox fields.

Posted 13 years ago on Monday December 27, 2010 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.