PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Non-blog user registration database question

1. LCharlier

WordPress newbie question:

I am re-doing our company website using WordPress (i.e. it is NOT a blog). I wish to create a registered user database to, among other things, limit downloads of marketing material to registered users only (for the purpose of recording potential sales opportunities). I will also use this logon for the purpose of controlling access to our support knowledge base. Does your User Registration add-on fit this model or is it tailored more for creating/maintaining WordPress users (i.e. blog posters)? In a conventional, non-WordPress web environment (i.e. pure HTML with an underlying database), I would craft this solution using a database of my own creation and therefore have to maintain the access control, e-mail correspondence, etc... myself. Using WordPress and the wonderful world of plugins, I'm trying to avoid doing all this myself. Am I off-base here trying to use your add-on for this purpose?

From a client perspective, I'm trying to present something akin to what your own site does with user registration:
    - present new users with a register link
    - present existing users with a logon screen
    - provide a password request/reset function

From a developer perspective, I need to be able to validate logons and subsequently determine what the user can, and cannot, see/do on the site.

Thanks in advance for any-and-all assistance.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday March 25, 2013 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

Gravity Forms' User Registration add-on is just to create WordPress users. You would probably want a Membership plugin, and there are many out there to choose from, all my best!

Posted 11 years ago on Monday March 25, 2013 | Permalink