PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Notifications are not delivered if line breaks are present in the Paragraph text

1. Notifications are not delivered if line breaks are present in the Paragraph text field, however the Confirmation messages are always delivered. This is an odd issue happening with one particular form that I can easily reproduce. I use GF extensively and have created numerous forms with a wide variety of features and layouts. I seldom have a problem and when I do I can usually find the answer in the forums, but not this time. Similar issues appear to be related to smtp mail server configurations, but I tried using different smtp servers via the WP Mail SMTP plugin and got the same results each time.

I enabled the debug log via wp-config file and found no errors relating to the forms.

I have other forms (16) on the same site with paragraph text fields with line breaks and notifications are delivered.

The notifications are being routed.

I have tried different email addresses, but that is not the issue. If there are no line breaks in the paragraph text field the notifications are sent.

The form URL is http://alumnae.mtholyoke.edu/gforms/information-request-form/

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday July 28, 2011 | Permalink
  2. I do not see a way to edit my post, so I just want to clarify that when I wrote "similar issues appear to be related to smtp mail server configurations" I meant "similar topics previously posted in the support forums that I have read appear to be related to smtp mail server configurations."

Posted 12 years ago on Friday July 29, 2011 | Permalink
  3. [Nice use of tooltips on the front end :-)]

I was just rereading your request. You mention that confirmation messages are delivered but notifications are not? Are you calling one of the email notifications (either to the admin or the visitor) a Confirmation? If so, is one of those emails arriving and the other is not? Or do you mean the confirmation that is displayed on-screen after form submission works fine, but no emails are delivered when there are line breaks in the submission?

4. I'm sorry I was not clear in labeling the messages. I was referring to the email notifications. Notifications to Users always work no matter what the format of the paragraph text fields. The Notifications to Administrators do not work when line breaks (shift-Enter or Command-Enter) are entered within the paragraph text fields on this particular form. There is no problem with the display of the Confirmation messages when the form is submitted.