PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

[order form] GF not passing value to notification email

1. ZeadsDead

Here is my problem laid out in a methodical manner

1. go to: http://pvanumber.com/order-form/

2. The first three drop-downs allow the user to select their necessary quantity of the listed product.

3. The "Value" in each case is the same exact entry as the "Label" EXCEPT with the default choice. In the case of the default selection, the "Value" I have entered is 0 - $0.00 and the price is $0.00

4. If the customer leaves the default choice (i.e.: Premium (90 days / 30 mins)) unedited, then the TOTAL is calculated as $0.00 for that product. The TOTAL is listed on the page under all three products.

PROBLEM:
    5. But, in the notification email, the TOTAL is NOT calculated. Instead, nothing shows up, thereby requiring my staff to manually add up each product selection.

6. What does show up is the individual item totals (but not the grand total). If the customer leaves the default selection for any given product then what shows up is the Label, and NOT the value. Thus, instead of 0 - $0.00 showing up, Premium (90 days / 30 mins) will show up.

So in a nutshell, unless the user actively chooses the Value 0 - $0.00 then the grand TOTAL will not be listed in our notification email.

Is there a way to fix this?

PROBLEM #2:

Similar problem is happening with the credit card radio buttons. I have used images as the Label for each one. For the Value, I have listed the name of the credit card (i.e.: Visa, Amex, etc..)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday November 27, 2012 | Permalink
  2. To get the value rather than the label in your notification, add :value to the merge tag, like this {all_fields:value}.

The value for the default choices in the drop downs should be left blank, so that the visitor is required to make a selection. Otherwise, the form can be submitted without the user making a selection, even though you have it marked as a required field.

Does that help with any of your problems?

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday November 29, 2012 | Permalink
  3. ZeadsDead

thanks for the quick response. some of your suggestions worked and some dont seem to work. here is my update:

1. i removed all entries from the default value selection. this did NOT force the visitor to make a selection even though the product is a required field.

BUT this does not bother me because i dont care if they leave it blank. so no worries here.

2. i added the merge tag (:value) as instructed. This DID work for the product but it did NOT work for the credit card drop down selection. for the CC drop down, i have used png files for the label and CC brand names (ie: visa, amex, etc) for the value.
    the brand name should be showing up in the email notification so we know which card to charge.

3. the TOTAL is still not showing up in the email, even after adding the (:value) into the merge tag. The TOTAL does show up properly on the order form itself but it is not showing up in the email.

this leads me to ask, where does the TOTAL gather its input values for the notification email? is it the label, value, or price field?

thus, in a nutshell, i still need to figure out:

1. how to make the credit card brand name show up in the email?
    2. how do i make the TOTAL calculate correctly in the email notification?

thanks!
    Ben

4. I'll ask the development team for feedback on this one. Hang in there.

5. ZeadsDead

thank you. i look forward to fixing this so i can start billing customers and making the $$$ i need to pay my bills.

hahaha.

keep me posted

thanks chris!!!

Posted 11 years ago on Friday November 30, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Hi ZeadsDead,

Can you send me an export of your form? david@rocketgenius.com

Posted 11 years ago on Friday November 30, 2012 | Permalink
  7. ZeadsDead

email sent! Please let me know if it was received.

I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Thanks for the help!

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 3, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Hi ZeadsDead,

I'm not seeing it. Could you resend?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 3, 2012 | Permalink
  9. ZeadsDead

Email resent about 10 hours ago. Thanks for looking! Keep me posted... I'm hoping this has a quick fix.

Ben

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday December 4, 2012 | Permalink
  10. Hello Ben,
    The problem with the payment type is in the merge tag that is being used. Try using {Payment Method::41:value} instead of {Payment Method::9:value}, since 41 is the actual ID of that field

The problem with the total is somewhat similar. If you use {Total:38} instead of {Total:36}, you should see the total in the notification. I am going to troubleshoot this because since you have two totals, they should both work.

One thing you need to keep in mind is security. Sending credit card information via email is very unsafe and it is something that should never be done. I strongly encourage you to take a different approach to this and use one of our payment add-ons that transmits that information and processes the payment securely.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday December 5, 2012 | Permalink
  11. Formmaker

I am having a similar problem - because my values in some drop down choices are the same - text, when i try to return the merge tag label (without :value) in a notification i get only the first drop down listing label result even if it was not the one picked. i have tested and tested this... there is a problem with label / value in the way it is handled - it appears that the label is not saved when chosen only the value, and when you call on the label again it reads the value and pulls the first label if there are multiple labels with the same value. I do not see a way around this but need one yesterday - first asked aboutt his about a month ago...took the :value answer and it was working, now it is not.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday December 6, 2012 | Permalink
  12. ZeadsDead

@AlexCancado

Thanks for the help... it seems to be working.

BUT, After testing the form about 12 times, only 8 emails arrived in my inbox. Are you aware of any conflicts or errors that could be causing the emails to not arrive?

Secondly, regarding your security comment, do you have any credit card solutions that are free?

On that note, I can't use paypal because if the user chooses that payment option, the info typed into the form fields does not pass through checkout. In other words, if they use paypal, the info we get is the product type, quantity, and some contact info. We would like to collect other info like phone number and user comments.

Thanks in advance!

ben

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday December 6, 2012 | Permalink