PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Pagelines + Gravity Forms - Don't even think about it!!!

1. This post comes after months of frustration from dealing with these 2 products together. I have them both running on several sites and to be honest, it's a NIGHTMARE. Mainly because of css formatting.

- CSS formatting of the forms is a complete joke. You have to jump thru hoops to make them even look like they fit because these two do not play well together.

- Pagelines loves to beat up on Gravity for having a sloppy product but with no real basis or examples as to why they feel that way.

- Gravity loves to beat up on Pagelines for having a sloppy product but with no real basis or examples as to why they feel that way.

The way I read into this, is that BOTH have a sloppy product. Great job with communication!

In short, I would NOT recommend these two products be used together on a live site. The developers don't see eye to eye and the products do NOT play well together.

It's really sad, because these are two great products IMO. But I would not suggest running them together until these developers can get on the same page and give us usable options. I'm real close to scrapping both just because of the issues.

Posted 12 years ago on Monday July 11, 2011 | Permalink
  2. I do understand that you're frustrated and we do appreciate constructive criticism but we've gone out of our way to help you and to offer styling solutions for your forms where the origin of the problem has been easily traced back to your theme. We haven't simply "beat up" on your theme provider - since you said you don't know CSS, I've personally tried to offer specific examples and guidance so you could solve your styling issues.

You say that the CSS formatting is "a joke" ( which again seems a harsh judgement when you yourself said you don't know CSS ) - but take a minute to check the formatting in your form preview - I'm sure the forms look fine when presented there. The problem comes when you embed the forms in your THEME and they begin to inherit properties from that.

Don't forget, if you don't like the default Gravity Forms styles, you can always completely turn them off in your settings and roll all your own CSS. If you're not up to it, then you can always hire a developer to help you craft whatever styles you would like.

Here's the thing.. we have thousands upon thousands of Gravity Forms installations and most people are able to use them just fine with a moderate amount of customization. Yes, there are times when more frustrating styling issues arise and it's usually caused when either lazy or unqualified (or both) theme developers apply blanket styling rules to common form elements like the INPUT element. Heck, sometimes those type of things just slip through the cracks anyhow.

For example, not all inputs are created equally.. there are various kinds like buttons, radios, checkboxes and even images can be used as an input type. You can't simply apply the same properties to different types of form controls that happen to use the same selector.

Our product is simply a plugin that's intended to inherit a certain amount of styling from your theme. If you start with crap, you're going to end up with crap. If you start with a well-crafted theme, then you're probably going to have some great looking forms. We can't QA everyone's theme styles for them and can't guarantee that Gravity Forms is going to come out looking exactly like you think it should with every theme. We do go to great lengths to try to overcome some of these hurdles, but again, the forms aren't a stand-alone app and we can only control so much.

I know that we've reached out to the Pagelines team a few times and it's been unproductive. If you're dissatisfied with their support or they don't want to accept any responsibility in the matter, I'm sorry but please don't blast us when we've been responsive and helpful with all of your support requests.

3. We have reached out to the Pagelines team numerous times to try and work with them on any issues that there might be. They seem to have no interest in resolving the issue and they continue to blame us for the issues.

You mention Pagelines loves to beat up on Gravity Forms but they have no real proof... you are right. They don't have proof. Why? Because the issue isn't Gravity Forms.

We have proof and a basis for our claims that Pagelines markup has problems. The fact that you are having CSS inheritance problems with your form styling is our proof.

The issues you encountered are due to CSS inheritance, something that we simply can't prevent. The only real solution to CSS inheritance problems is a well crafted theme. A well crafted theme is simply not going to have the CSS inheritance problems that Pagelines has.

A well crafted theme is going to work out of the box just fine with Gravity Forms and an attentive theme developer is going to be willing to make updates to ensure their theme isn't causing inheritance issues.

As i've mentioned, we have reached out to Pagelines just like we regularly reach out to theme developers such as WooThemes, StudioPress, iThemes, Press75, Headway, Thesis, etc. All of the major theme developers work with us whenever any type of issues arise. If Pagelines isn't willing to work with us on the issue, our hands are tied. There is only so much we can do.