PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Populating a form dynamically?

1. I'll try to explain this as best as possible. I would like to dynamically populate forms based on information collected via the user registration add-on. I'll preface this by saying I can accomplish this via a query string, but it's not what I'm looking for. This is what I would like to do.

Is there a way to carry information collected from the user registration add-on dynamically populate it into all other forms...granted that they are logged in? To explain it further, I would collect name, address, home phone, cell phone, etc.. and once they are logged in that information would automatically be populated into any form they select.

I do not expect a total solution for this, but would like to know if it is possible and, if so, a quick explanation toward accomplishing it.

Thanks for any help and Happy Holidays!

Posted 11 years ago on Monday December 24, 2012 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

It is possible, but as you alluded to, it isn't built-in. Some things, like their name has merge tags that you can use as the default values: http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Merge_Tags

If you have saved their other details to custom user meta, than you can use those as tags as well to have their details filled out.

3. Thanks so much for your response David. I have added other custom user meta information, but I am not getting those to show on the form. Here is a screenshot of my user meta info: http://brewsterathletics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/user_meta.bmp.

I've enter these tags in the default value section:
    - {user:first_name}
    - {user:user_email}
    - {user:street_address}
    - {user:username}

Only the email shows for me. Am I doing it correctly?

Thanks again.

4. From that screenshot, these are your meta key names:

Street Address
    City
    State
    Zip
    Home phone

You might want to change these meta keys to something more standard (lower case, no spaces) and then map them again. Or, you might be able to use them like this (but this is not how it normally works.)

{user:Street Address}
    {user:City}
    {user:State}
    {user:Zip}
    {user:Home phone}

The key you use and the key in the usermeta table need to match exactly or this will not work.

5. Thanks for all your help David and Chris. Your support is outstanding!!!

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday December 26, 2012 | Permalink
  6. Were you able to work it out?

7. I sure did! Thanks again!

8. Thanks for the update.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.