PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Populating from and writing to external database

1. I'm working on a project and we're about to decide wether or not use GF for the job. Main concern is populating fields from an external database and write user input to the same external database. I've never done this before and I really don't know what's possible with GF and controlling external databases.

There are possibilities to use GF-hooks and custom plugins, but I'm not sure if I'm able to alter what GF will do with the user input. And, even more important, are we able to hook into GF saving the contents/fields of a form so we can adjust the structure of the external database to it?

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday June 16, 2010 | Permalink
  2. kpince

I have the same problem here myself..still not decided..

Need to save and read from another mysql database residing on the same server as wp..

Any comments ?

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday July 18, 2010 | Permalink
  3. Gravity Forms itself does not read or write to any external database. It only interacts with it's own tables created in your WordPress install.

If you want Gravity Forms to save data to a different database you would have to use the PHP API hooks to do so and write custom PHP to save the form data to the database you want to save it to.

If you need to pre-populate field values you can do the same using custom PHP and hooks to pre-populate field values on the form. Keep in mind you can't dynamically create fields, you can only pre-populate the value of fields that exist on the form created in Gravity Forms.

We will be launching our new documentation area within the next couple weeks and it will have a complete rundown of ALL the available API hooks, what they do, correct syntax for using them and a sample.

4. kpince

Well, that's what I figured.

I'll be looking forward to it.

Cheers

KP

5. andrew carbn

Hey,
    I know this is an old thread, but did you ever get anywhere with this? I'm trying to solve a directly related problem in this thread:
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/gform_after_submission-writing-to-a-mysql-database?replies=2#post-317312

Posted 10 years ago on Tuesday June 11, 2013 | Permalink