PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Post uploads not working??

1. Hi,

I have set up a form to create a new draft post which includes a file upload field which should include the image as part of the post.

This doesn't seem to be working - am I doing something wrong?

If I shouldn't use file upload, how can I set up a form that allows user submitted images?

Thanks,
    James

Posted 14 years ago on Thursday August 27, 2009 | Permalink
  2. It sounds like a file permissions issue. Gravity Forms needs to be able to create and write to a folder in your wp-content/uploads folder.

FTP into your site and go to the wp-content/uploads folder and let me know if you see a folder called "gravity_forms".

3. Thanks for the quick reply - the folder is there (along with a few subfolders) and the images I uploaded are there but not saved in the post draft.

The nature of the site is that users vote on images submitted in posts (and your plugin released couldn't be timed any better), so it's really important that the site admins have as little work to do on each submission as possible because of the number they're expecting.

I can give you access to the site (and WP admin) if you need to check it out first hand?

4. Okay, here is the issue. The File Upload is not a Post related field. Currently the only fields that create post data is the Post Title, Post Body, Post Excerpt, Post Tag and Post Custom Field field types.

Right now you would have to grab the image from the entry detail and add it to the post draft that was created.

I apologize for the confusion, however, a Post Image is a field we are going to be adding in the very near future along with a Post Category tag. It is a hot button item that we will be adding in one of the next releases.

I hope this clarifies, it's probably not what you want to hear but unfortunately that is the functionality as it it stands right now. Rest assured we plan on adding this soon.

5. Could you give me an idea of when this will be implemented?

On a tempoary basis, is there a way to upload a file and include the URL on the page - perhaps as a custom field?

6. I'm not sure how this can be done on a temporary basis. You would probably have to view the entry, get the image and then add it to the post.

We are going to be meeting tomorrow to prioritize features. I am going to make it a point to push both Post Images and a Post Category field to the top of the list and will have a better idea of when these will be available after we meet.

When I learn more i'll post it here. This is certainly a hot item for us.

7. I appreciate your efforts.

The site this function is required for is under construction at the moment so a temporary solution would suffice for the moment.

If it's not a bother, could you drop me an email to hello@jamesmorrison.me when you have an update?

Many thanks!

8. Any idea on whether this will make it into 1.1 later this week?

Having thought about it some more, if the image uploads to a specific folder anyway, having this as a custom field would be a better solution for me - I can then use timthumb.php to resize it more easily without needing to adjust anything else.

Thanks

Posted 14 years ago on Monday August 31, 2009 | Permalink
  9. The Post Image field is planned for version 1.1, however how it will function is a user can upload an image that will then go in your media library and be part of the gallery for the post they are submitting.

It won't add your image into the post itself since there are too many variables with how people handle images in posts.

What it will do is add your image to the gallery for that post. So them if you use timthumb and a theme that pulls in the first gallery image for a post, this will work because the image they upload will be assigned to the gallery for that post.

It is too complex, and limiting, to automatically insert the image into the post. Too many factors to consider. So this approach gets it into the media library, assigned to the gallery for the post, and then it's up to you what is done with it from that point on.

Posts are moderated anyway so when you are approving the post if you need to insert the image into the post you can easily do so since the image will be available easily from the post editor. Then you can also take it and populate custom fields like you would with any other post.

We plan on having even more advanced functionality in the future, but the first iteration will work as outlined above.

10. Thanks for clearing this up.

I'm building a custom theme to use this function with, so using the Get The Image plugin will do exactly what I need it to in the long run.

Many thanks for all your time and effort in getting this sorted out.

11. ryanchapa

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday April 14, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.