PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Questions about WordPress MU and author credit for post submissions

1. I'm very interested in your plugin for a set of community blogs that I run, but I have a few questions about how it works. Here's the short of the long story: I use WordPress MU at http://finerthingsin.com to run a set of crowd-sourced topical tech blogs, like http://mac.finerthingsin.com, http://pc.finerthingsin.com, etc. I currently use the TDO Mini Forms plugin to allow public post submissions (http://mac.finerthingsin.com/submit, for example) from readers so they don't have to register with the site.

Here are my questions:

- Is Gravity Forms compatible with WPMU?

- If I purchase Gravity Forms for my site, which price would I have to pay? I would be using it only at the finerthingsin.com domain, but I have 3 sub-domain sites now (mac.finer, iphone.finer, and web.finer) and a few more planned. Would this fall under a single site license, or would I need to purchase one of the higher tiers?

- When I publish a post that a reader submitted with Gravity Forms, are they attributed as the author? Or do I need to use a dummy user (I currently use "Submission" with TDO Mini Forms) for Gravity Forms to attach these posts? TDO Mini Forms requires a user to be created, but the name and URL of the person who submitted it is placed on the public post page, so readers see "John Doe" and "Mike Smith" as the author on the post instead of "Submission." Can Gravity Forms do that?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday February 22, 2010 | Permalink
  2. Also: sorry for submitting a comment and posting here in the forums. I noticed only after I submitted the comment that you want pre-sales Qs in here; I didn't mean to harass you with duplicates.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday February 22, 2010 | Permalink
  3. Bump? Did I do something wrong or what?

Posted 14 years ago on Sunday February 28, 2010 | Permalink
  4. Hello! Sorry, you did nothing wrong... your question got overlooked as we were responding to support questions. I apologize. Answers to your questions are below.

- Gravity Forms is compatible with WPMU.

- If you run WPMU off of a single domain name, a single license will be sufficient. If you use domain mapping, you will need a developer license. In your case the single license would suffice.

- When you use a form to create a post you have the option of either 1) Selecting which author the posts should be attributed to OR 2) If the user filling out the form is logged in to your site the post is attributed to their username.

Posted 14 years ago on Monday March 1, 2010 | Permalink
  5. Aaaand I just bought a license. Thanks a bunch!

Posted 14 years ago on Monday March 1, 2010 | Permalink
  6. Greetings Gravity Forms, I'm revisiting this topic because I'm looking at using WordPress again for these sites. I know a lot's changed with GF in the last year and a half, so I have a more specific question this time:

I want to allow crowd-sourced posts on a WordPress blog (be it regular .org install or the new MU support built into WordPress 3.x). To be specific: I want to allow users who have not signed up or logged in to enter a post title, upload images and/or embed videos, their name, and personal URL (be it a Twitter, their own blog, etc). I then want to be able to publish that post and display their name and URL as the author attribution, not some kind of generic WordPress "Submission" user that I need to set up.

Is this possible with Gravity Forms?

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday December 8, 2011 | Permalink
  7. Hi Chartier,

The WP post author property is stored as the user ID of the author. If you're looking to use WP's default author functionality, the author would have to be a registered user.

With that said, you could customize your theme to display a custom field value as the author name instead of using WP's default author functionality. In this case, you could store any information you need from the submitting visitor as post custom fields (using the GF Post Custom Field).

With such a method, you would not be able to use some of WP's default functionality for author's such as the author archive page. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

8. That's perfect David, thanks!

9. My pleasure. Going to close this topic for now. Please feel free to post a new topic if you have any additional questions. :)

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.