PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Registration - Username = Email Address

1. dinohorn

With your registration add-on, is there a way I can have my users have their email address as their username? By the way, what font is this? It's pretty cool :)

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday December 8, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Technically, yes, you can allow them to use their email address as their username. If you configure the User Registration Add-On so that the Username field is mapped to the Email field on your form, it would create the user with their email as their username.

HOWEVER technically it would be storing the email address in two places, their username and then again in their email. Because WordPress has 2 separate fields for username and email and both are required. So if after they register they then change their email address, that doesn't change their username.

3. dinohorn

What is the best practice for usernames? I can see that that if their email changes, their old username get kind of messy for them.

4. I would use a plugin that allows log in with either email address or username. They still need to create a username, but it's easier to log in later with the email address; also, changing the email address in the profile does not hurt anything. As you know, you cannot change WordPress usernames. Finally, using the email address as the username exposes everyone's email to the public.

I have used this one in the past:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-email-login/

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 9, 2011 | Permalink
  5. Looks like the font here is from TypeKit, Proxima Nova:
    https://typekit.com/fonts/proxima-nova

Posted 12 years ago on Friday December 9, 2011 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.