PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Saving partially filled forms?

1. avani

I'm putting together some fairly long (and multipage, at the moment) forms using GF. I would like a registered user to be able to save a partially filled form and come back to it later, or save the form as he/she fills it up so that in the event of a crash/outage/whatever, when they're back to the form they don't have to start over.

Does this make sense? Can I use a button that submits a partially filled form using AJAX, and restores the information if the user visits the page again while logged in?

I would appreciate your help, thanks!

Posted 13 years ago on Tuesday March 22, 2011 | Permalink
  2. cazwilson

"Save the form as he/she fills it up so that in the event of a crash/outage/whatever, when they're back to the form they don't have to start over" is what I'm wondering about too! :)

Thanks.

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday March 24, 2011 | Permalink
  3. There is no "Save" functionality in Gravity Forms at this time. It's something we're considering for the future though.

If you want that functionality right now, you would have to custom code that yourself or hire a qualified developer do so.

You may be able to implement some kind of jQuery solution like the one linked below. I haven't tested it and can't say how well it works or not or not but you're welcome to give it a shot.

http://rikrikrik.com/jquery/autosave/

Posted 13 years ago on Thursday March 24, 2011 | Permalink
  4. avani

@cazwilson, Glad to know I am not the only one asking :)

@Kevin, Thanks! I think it would be a great feature inside GF, even if it was just integrating that jquery solution, which seems quite neat, and the demo on the page is super-promising. I'll report back on how it works.

I was thinking of a solution along different lines - for registered users filling in a GF, the default field value will be associated with a user-meta value. Every so many seconds (or on a manual click), the partially saved form data will sync with the users' meta data, via an AJAX call. This might be more robust for registered users, but will take heavier coding. I don't know if this is what you intend on your roadmap, but would be great to see!

In any case, thanks much for the prompt and very helpful response. :)

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday March 26, 2011 | Permalink
  5. erueschhoff

I also have this same question - just posted in the wrong area:

I'm not sure gravity forms can help me, but with all the brilliant people on this forum I'm hoping maybe someone would be able to point me in the right direction to get the result I need.

I have a lengthy application form where many questions require some thought, so it could take someone 45 min or so to complete, the application is for executive and high level professionals who don't necessarily have that kind of time all in one chunk to do this and also may not have much comfort level with technology and doing this kind of thing themselves - what I need to do is figure out how I could create a page that would allow them to enter this information and answer the questions as they have time and be able to see their previous answers - so basically they have created somewhat of a profile page with their information.

Does anyone have any idea what the best way to do this would be? or is there someone available for hire here that could help me.

Thank you so much for your time and any input you could provide.

Posted 13 years ago on Saturday March 26, 2011 | Permalink
  6. Save and return functionality isn't currently a feature of Gravity Forms. It might be possible to do as a customization, however it would probably be pretty complex with a form the size of the one you described. You would have to discuss it with a WordPress and PHP developer.

Posted 13 years ago on Sunday March 27, 2011 | Permalink
  7. even if you could return.. the fact that you lose the entire form if you crash half way through or accidently leave the page... just spent an hour filling in a gravity form only to lose it all i figured that alteast what I had done had been saved... i thought in marketing the whole reason for having multiple pages was so that before you asked that question that made 50% of people leave... you asked the other question that only made 20% of the people leave and that way atleast that had been answered....

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday September 29, 2011 | Permalink
  8. @iandymorris A multi-page form is NOT submitted until the final page is submitted. There is no partial data storage. The form isn't processed until the final page is submitted.

The purpose of multi-page forms is to break up long forms to make them less intimidating and to encourage users to complete the process. The longer the form, the less likely it is to be completed. Splitting the form into multiple pages makes the form seem a little less daunting. Ultimately in marketing, the shorter the form the better because shorter forms are going to have a higher conversion rate.

It may sound like a good marketing idea to automatically capture abandoned forms, but it's a privacy and transparency issue. Users don't expect information to be received until the form is fully submitted and a confirmation action is displayed.

Not all abandoned forms are going to be due to some sort of crash. Typically it's going to be because the user decided to not complete the form. Capturing partially filled out forms that a user may have purposely chosen NOT to submit because they decided against it at some point during the process is downright shady, not something we agree with and not something we ever intend on implementing.

We do plan on implementing save and continue functionality but it will be done in a way that it is clear to the user what is happening and what it is going to do for situations where the user wants to complete the process but doesn't have time so they want to save their progress and continue at a later time.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday September 29, 2011 | Permalink
  9. I've got the same problem with a long form for a client, autosaving/save and return would be a great added function to a future release of GF.

Posted 12 years ago on Thursday January 12, 2012 | Permalink
  10. pamb

I have been trying to do this as well and went to the plugin page listed at the top of this topic but it appears those plugins no longer exist. Is there another suggestion for being able to save the form at various points along the way (or autosave at preset times)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday January 24, 2012 | Permalink
  11. GF is this feature now available in the latest version?

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday June 27, 2012 | Permalink
  12. David Peralty

No, we haven't released a version that includes this feature as of yet.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday June 27, 2012 | Permalink
  13. I'd love to see this feature as well.

If I come up with a solution in the meantime, I'll post it here to share.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday September 7, 2012 | Permalink
  14. Moved to feature requests

Posted 11 years ago on Friday September 7, 2012 | Permalink
  15. @Carl Hancock
    You said,
    "... Capturing partially filled out forms that a user may have purposely chosen NOT to submit because they decided against it at some point during the process is downright shady, not something we agree with and not something we ever intend on implementing."

I like Gravity Forms.

There are many legitimate (and ethical) reasons why someone would want to "Save" or otherwise capture partially filled out forms - specifically to help with user experience.

I have a project I'm working on right now that is a huge 13 page form, over 100 data inputs, where the user has to be logged in to use it. Saving their progress is imperative. Maybe it could be done in stages like "save progress" - then it would be "user driven" and a functional service for them.

There is a solution here and I hope you and the Gravity Forms team do not dismiss this feature as shady.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday January 30, 2013 | Permalink
  16. David Peralty

This third party add-on may help you: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/gravity-forms-data-persistence-add-on/

17. @David Peralty
    Yes thank you, I'm using it already. After I posted above, I read that Gravity Forms had spec.'d this functionality for release in 1.7 - is that still the case.

18. We just created a Recipe site that allows users to submit recipes, save them and even go back and edit them, using a combination of Gravity Forms and Advanced Custom Fields (ACF). Gravity Forms can definitely be bent to do this functionality when combined with ACF.

We will be launching soon and letting the developers see behind the scenes in case they want to know how it was implemented. It came out great!

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday February 6, 2013 | Permalink
  19. Thanks for the update Lars.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday February 6, 2013 | Permalink
  20. Hey Lars, any update? This function is something REALLY important for our company. And it sucks that the Administrators just keep delaying this option.

Posted 10 years ago on Wednesday May 8, 2013 | Permalink