PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Set user role based on options in the form?

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered

I'm using the newest beta of User Registration add-on as mentioned here: http://www.gravityhelp.com/gravity-forms-user-registration-add-on-v1-5-beta-1-released/. I'm wondering if there's a way (or if it could be added before final release) to set the user-role based on selections within the form?

So for example, I've created 2 new user roles: Realtor & Loan Officer. Then I have a radio button where they select which they are. I'd like to be able to have it set their user role based on this selection, rather than just one user role for all registrants.

Though helpful to me in this situation, it could be extremely helpful in many other situations. For example someone selling memberships on their site, could allow the user to select the level of access they receive (or whatever is being sold), which would determine the price, as well as the user role, so as to set the amount of access they have.

Let me know if there's a way to do this (other than having 2 separate forms) and/or if it's something that could be added.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday September 20, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Anonymous
    Unregistered

I think I figured it out: I setup 2 completely separate User Registration Feeds with only 2 differences: the 2 different user roles on each feed, and then in the Registration Conditions, set each to activate according to the option selected. That should do it (haven't tested yet).

It's not very elegant because I had to mimic all the custom fields, etc, on the 2 feeds, which is kinda a pain. But it's better than having 2 separate forms. It would be nice if just the user-role assigned could be set based on conditions, so you only have one feed. But like I said, this does the job.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday September 21, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Anonymous
    Unregistered

Okay, it seems to be working, but I do have another question: the docs for the User Registration Add-On say that "The User Registration Add-on v1.0 does not automatically add custom meta fields to the WordPress user profile page." So what's the best way to got about adding these? They're already mapped, but I want users to be able to edit them. Thanks.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday September 21, 2012 | Permalink
  4. Please see this explanation of how to do that:
    http://justintadlock.com/archives/2009/09/10/adding-and-using-custom-user-profile-fields

There is a simpler explanation floating around too, but I can't find it right now.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday September 22, 2012 | Permalink
  5. Darren Starr

Is it possible to add more that one registration condition to the settings? That would solve my issue of trying to add multiple types of options to one user group. Also, we are trying to do this based on a greater than functionality. We're working with a non-profit that wants to provide special content for users that donate $25 or more per month. Does anyone have a way that they would accomplish that with GF?... I'm new to it.

6. Anonymous
    Unregistered

@Chris, if you're able to find it, I'd love to see. This should get me started though. Thanks.

@interactiveavenue see here: http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/User_Registration_Add-On

Though if you can use something other than Gravity Forms, I highly recommend using WooCommerce and the Groups plugin, with the Groups Integration extension: http://goo.gl/LjvFE it'll handle exactly what you're looking to do, very nicely. You just create Groups and anyone who pays the amount you want, gets put into a certain group. Then you can easily make certain content available only to that group.

7. @Tevya, here is the post I was referring to as "simpler":
    http://chriscarter.org/removing-and-adding-meta-fields-from-profile/

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday September 23, 2012 | Permalink
  8. @Tevya, can you shed some light on how you set up 2 user registration feeds from 1 form? I've set one up but when I try to add a second feed, the registration form is not listed in the dropdown.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday October 25, 2012 | Permalink
  9. I am looking to achieve the same thing. My client has 3 different packages @ 9.99, 14.99 and 19.99 per month, and you gain more access to content and features with the higher plan, so depending on which product you select from the drop down menu should determine which user role you get. Was hoping to be able to do this without making 3 separate forms or 2 duplicates of the one I have in place.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday November 14, 2012 | Permalink
  10. @dalbeck, if you create one form with your 3 packages, you can create three separate user registration feeds, one for each package. Pick the user role which corresponds to the package which was purchased, then enable the "registration condition" checkbox, and in the revealed drop down, set the condition for this role. For example, for the 9.99 package, set the role to "beginner" (or whatever) then enable the registration condition so that it says "Register the user if" and select from the drop downs whatever determines the role this package purchase should receive.

Create 3 feeds for the one form, and make the role in each feed different, and make sure the corresponding registration condition matches.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday November 17, 2012 | Permalink
  11. Chris,

I am sorry for the bad question but I am little confused as to what a "registration feed" is. Currently I made my form, I have the products set as a drop down menu. When I go to Forms --> User Registration. I select my form so I can edit it, on this screen I see the User Settings section and Role being the last option. I see in the drop down of fields from my form the 3 plans but I can only select one. I have looked at the conditional statements from the form and this section I am just not following =/ .. sorry. Is there a documentation online for this? Or should I make my product selector something else instead of a drop down?

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday November 20, 2012 | Permalink
  12. Please export your form and email it to me at chris@rocketgenius.com - I will install it and see if I can configure the feeds myself so I can explain it more clearly. Sorry for the confusion.

13. Just sent it. Thanks Chris!

14. Take a look at these screenshots: http://minus.com/mROpxaX3rbH9T

I created three new roles so I would have a role to map the 3 different registrations (Basic, Pro, Ultimate) to.

I created a new feed for each role, using the same registration form for each one (from the drop down.) If you tick the box "Enable registration condition" you will get a drop down to "Register the user if" and then you can select "profile_plan" is "Pro Plan" or "Basic Plan" or "Ultimate Plan".

The only difficulty is in the registration feed screen, the title of the form will appear three times, since you mapped it three times. So, that is a little annoying and hard to keep straight. But once the feed is mapped, you never need to go back here.

Let me know if you can figure it out with this information. Thanks for your patience.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday November 29, 2012 | Permalink
  15. Chris,

This is strange, I don't have the options available in the screenshot you posted. For example, I don't have the 3 tabs at the top labeled: "User Registration Feeds" "Pending Activations" "Edit Feed".

I also don't have the User Activation checkbox under "Additional Options".

I am running Gravity Forms Version: 1.6.9
    User Addons Version: 1.4

Am I missing something here?

16. psnepsts

I'm having exactly the same issue, and I too do not have those options (Tabs for "User Registration Feeds," "Pending Activations" and "New Feed"). I only have the option to set up one set of registration mappings for each form I've created.

Using same versions as dalbeck:
    GF 1.6.9
    User Registration 1.4

17. Those tabs were added in the 1.5 beta 1 release. They will not be present in the 1.4 version you are using.

However, @dalbeck, it will not matter for your situation. None of those tabs are related to solving your issue.

The 1.5 beta release, with the ability to update a user profile, and the ability to moderate user activations is available for download here http://www.gravityhelp.com/downloads/add-ons/#User_Registration_Beta

18. psnepsts

Perhaps I'm missing a key piece of this thread (or just not getting it).

I have a user registration form on a website here:
    http://rccc.on.ca/membership/application/

Depending on whether or not the user would like their contact info to be visible, I'd like to set their user Role to one or the other of two options. The roles are identical, but the member contact list page only calls results from one of the roles.

When I go into the User Registration admin area I'm presented with the feed page. I have one set up for the form in question where one of the conditions is set up. However, if I click "Add New" here, I am not given the option of connecting the new feed to the same form. The form I associated the first feed to is no longer available in the dropdown list.

If I could supply screenshots here, I would.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday November 30, 2012 | Permalink
  19. To provide screenshots, please upload them to one of the free image hosting services and paste the link here.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday December 1, 2012 | Permalink