PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

[SPAM] PayPal Instant Payment Notification Warning

1. KindraPB

I have been sifting through the forum and see that the IPN failing is a common problem. I dont have any plugins that should be blocking communication between PayPal and my server. What is the best way to get to the bottom of the problem?

I get:

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment
    Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

http://www.visitoshkosh.com/?page=gf_paypal_ipn

ALSO: does this mean that the money isn't being transferred to the account or that the notification isn't being fired back to my server to display the post that was paid for.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday November 6, 2012 | Permalink
  2. You can check with PayPal to ensure that the payment was received. The IPN happens after payment is processed, so the fact that there is no IPN does NOT mean you did not receive the money. However, because the IPN never makes it back to Gravity Forms, if you have an action which depends on successful payment (subscription to a mailing list, or publishing a post) that will not happen because Gravity Forms does not know the transaction was completed.

Regarding the IPN not arriving, that is between PayPal and your server. Gravity Forms just listens, and the URL you posted worked for me. If PayPal cannot communicate with that server, I would contact their support to see if they have any suggestions. I'm not sure when you have that error if you can resend the IPN from the IPN history or not. Whenever an IPN does not arrive for me, it normally says "Sent" in the IPN history, and I can resend it and it arrives shortly after, updating the payment status for the entry. I'm not sure if you have the option to do that or not, because I have never seen that error.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday November 8, 2012 | Permalink