PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Strange Needs

1. Hello there.

I'm looking for a plugin for a community-based Wordpress. The following may sound silly, but basically I'm running a community RP-Portal for an MMO that I play.

I've run into a few roadblocks because I want my users to be able to do the following:

-Submit news stories, which will then be moderated and posted under a certain category.
    -Submit their own "blog-type posts" which can be posted under a certain category and directly populate a certain "page" directory.
    -Submit guild links, hopefully including an image (banner), that can either be moderated, or posted immediately, directly to it's own "post" which then populates a "page" directory.

The problem is, my PHP knowledge is incredibly limited to damn near non-existent. I'm trying to build this site by the seat of my pants and I'm learning a ton as I go, but I'm not going to be able to modify things heavily. So in essence, I'm looking for something that is incredibly user-friendly, but something that will be able to do what I'm looking for, even if it means I'm paying $39 for it. To me, that price is worth it if this is what I'm looking for.

I did do the demo and it has a nice layout in the back end, however, clearly a demo can only show me so much which is why I've decided to post here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope to hear from someone soon!

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday February 8, 2012 | Permalink
  2. Hi Alice,

-Submit news stories, which will then be moderated and posted under a certain category.

Gravity Forms provides "Post Fields" which allow you to use a simple front-end form to allow users to submit their own posts to the site. You control that status of the post (aka "Draft" if you want to moderate before publishing) but you can use the Category field to allow the user to select which category (or categories) to post to.

-Submit their own "blog-type posts" which can be posted under a certain category and directly populate a certain "page" directory.

Not sure what you mean by blog-type posts? As far as where the posts are populated on the site, this would fall outside of Gravity Forms functionality. You can setup your theme to pull posts from any category using the WP_Query or query_posts() WP functions.

-Submit guild links, hopefully including an image (banner), that can either be moderated, or posted immediately, directly to it's own "post" which then populates a "page" directory.

Sounds similar to the concept of the first item. If so Gravity Forms can handle this easily. :)

Posted 12 years ago on Tuesday February 14, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Hey David,

I appreciate you getting back to me. I did wind up going with Gravity Forms, because you guys are seriously just so awesome!

I have one other question since I've figured out a great deal as to how these work.

This is more of a general WordPress question probably, but maybe someone would know the answer.

I know that there is a directory addon for GF but it does not really do what I'm looking for it to do. I have figured out how to link a category, sort of, but when someone posts their guild information it posts it as a post, rather than a link to the post. This could get crowded, fast. Is there a way to have it go to a page as more of a link to the post?

Hope that makes some sort of sense. I felt stupid writing it out. Haha.

Posted 12 years ago on Wednesday February 15, 2012 | Permalink
  4. Alice, can you post your last question as a new topic in the regular support forums rather than the pre-purchase forum? We can better help you there. Thanks

Posted 12 years ago on Saturday February 18, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.