PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Support for user submitted video via smartphone?

1. sounditresounds

Hello,

I am starting a video web series and one of the features I want is the ability to allow registered users to submit a video to the site via their smartphones. I need for the video to be uploaded to and stored in the back end, unpublished so I can review and then publish if it passes content standards.

1. Can this be done with Gravity Forms?
    2. Does it support iOS & Android?
    3. Can it be done on desktop as well?
    4. What video formats does it support?
    5. Can the form be "greyed out" pending user registration to the site?

I'm really hoping this will be the solution to what I've been looking for

thanks in advance
    Gary

Posted 10 years ago on Tuesday June 4, 2013 | Permalink
  2. David Peralty

You can do uploads of video files into Gravity Forms. Gravity Forms doesn't include any video wrappers, so you will want to figure that aspect out yourself if you intend on displaying those videos to users once you approve them. As for uploading it via smartphone, you can't do it on an iOS device because they don't have access to the file system to upload files to the web. The form can allow only logged in users to access the form, but it wouldn't be greyed out...rather the form wouldn't show until they are logged in.

3. sounditresounds

Thanks so much for the quick reply David, really appreciate it. That's disappointing that there's no smartphone functionality with the forms for video. I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "access to the file system to upload files to the web." Can you explain?

Also yes the plan is to publish the videos once I've approved them in my Wordpress CMS. Good to know that the form is only accessible to registered users, that takes care of one feature ;-)

cheers
    gary

4. David Peralty

To upload a video to a website, you need to be able to grab it from the hard drive on the phone. You cannot see the hard drive on the phone from a web browser on Apple's iOS platform (iPhone/iPad), so you couldn't select the video you've taken to upload it. Applications aren't restricted in the same way, but websites are.

5. sounditresounds

Ahh yes I see, totally makes sense. So that really answers my overarching question of how to allow users to upload their own video via their smartphone - it basically can't be done because the share functionality is limited to email, text or send directly to YouTube.

thanks again David
    -gary

6. David Peralty

No problem. It is an annoying limitation to be sure. All my best!

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.