PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Tab from First Name to Last Name Field goes to end of the page

1. jeffbuchanan

When I enter the First Name and press "tab" to go to the Last Name field, the form jumps to the end of the browser page. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

http://dev1.exodusinternational.org/contact-us/prayer-requests/

Posted 13 years ago on Monday January 10, 2011 | Permalink
  2. Your email signup form in the sidebar has a tabindex of "1" as well, so it's jumping down to that form before going to the next field with tabindex 2.

You can control the starting tabindex for each form with a filter added to your theme's functions.php file.

For example, this changes form id#10's tabindex start value to 2

< ?php add_filter('gform_tabindex_10', create_function('', 'return 2;')); ?>

or you could do this to apply it to all forms

< ?php add_filter('gform_tabindex', create_function('', 'return 2')); ?>

or, if you want to disable the tabindexes completely, you can add this instead

<?php add_filter("gform_tabindex", create_function("", "return false;")); ?>

or you can always change the tabindex on your sidebar form to avoid a conflict.

3. jeffbuchanan

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I added the filter that disables all tab indexes but it is resetting my CAPTCHA fields to the default red setting. I've specified the "Clean" template. If I wanted to reset the tab index for a form, where do I go to do that? I can't find it.

4. jeffbuchanan

Ok I've added the code to reset the tabs for all forms:

< ?php add_filter('gform_tabindex_10', create_function('', 'return 4;')); ?>

This does it without stripping the formatting for the CAPTCHA fields. I'm not sure why the disable code does that but it would be great if that could be corrected. That way I don't have to go and and add a new filter for each form I create. Do you know of a solution?

I have to agree with some of the other users that it would be good to have control over the tab-indexing. This is a great plugin and I'm so glad I purchased it. This addition would just be the icing on the cake. :-)

5. Here is my form, I dont know how to edit my theme's function .php?
    I have the same tabbing issue above on several forms...
    http://www.curbco.com/quick-quotes/curb-adapter-quote-form/

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday June 26, 2012 | Permalink
  6. If you don't know how to edit your theme's functions.php you might need to find someone locally who is comfortable doing it, to help you. You do have the same issue with the tabindex and the solution provided by Kevin will work for you.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday June 27, 2012 | Permalink
  7. I am using Genisis Theme with metric child, I have found the functions.php in the child theme, what I have read says modify it in the child theme is this accurate?

8. That's correct. The code to change the tabindex for your form will be added to your child theme's functions.php file. Please post if you need additional help.

9. Here is the functions.php file, please tell me where to put it? http://www.pastie.org/4162442
    Since the forms are not called out, how can I modify the tab index for a specific form? I just need all the forms to be able to be tabbed through properly, if there is a reset that will enable them to start over from the top that would be fine.

10. You can add this line to the very end of that file.

[php]
    add_filter('gform_tabindex', create_function('', 'return 10'));

That will force all Gravity Forms to begin with a tabindex of 10. So long as no other form on the page has more than 10 fields, this will be fine. The first field in the form will have a tabindex of 10, the next field 11, and so on. If someone clicked into the other form on the page, the tabindex there of 1 would be fine, then 2, and so on.

Please let me know if you need more help.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday June 28, 2012 | Permalink
  11. Fixed! Thank you very much Chris for your help I used
    add_filter("gform_tabindex", create_function("", "return false;"));
    To just reset the tab index on all the forms on my site

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday June 28, 2012 | Permalink

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.