PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Textarea limited to 200 characters

1. In the following contactform is the textarea limited to 200 characters.
    http://www.royalmission.nl/contact/

On the front-end i can enter more then 200+ characters to the textarea,
    but in de e-mail notifications and the entries in admin of Wordpress the characters are limited to 200 characters.

Is this an known issue of just a single issue?

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday August 18, 2010 | Permalink
  2. What version of Gravity Forms are you using? You can find this by going to Forms > Settings.

3. The $wpdb->prefix.rg_lead_detail.value field has a VARCHAR(200) length (in 1.3.13.1 anyway.) I ran into this before but I forget how I ended up there.

4. Long values are stored twice. Once in the lead detail as only 200 characters and again in the lead detail long table where the full value is stored. This is for performance reasons for things such as the Entries grid where the entire value isn't necessary but if you displayed it there could still be a performance hit. So the short value is stored in lead_detail and then there is another table that holds the full value.

If you are seeing the short version being output in Notifications, etc. I would need to know what version of Gravity Forms as it should be using the long version when outputting the content. There were issues in older versions where the short version was being used, so the version can help me determine what is going on.

5. That was probably it - I had a problem in an older version with the email notifications.

6. Carl, im using version 1.3.13.1

Posted 13 years ago on Monday August 23, 2010 | Permalink
  7. I'm unable to reproduce this and no other users are reporting this issue which points to something specific with your site. Can you send us a WordPress admin login for this site via our Contact Us form so we can take a look at it?

Posted 13 years ago on Monday August 23, 2010 | Permalink
  8. Hi,

I've the same problem: text entries in post_fields>body are truncated to 200 chars in notifications and admin panel.

WP: 3.0 (ITA)
    Gravity Form: 1.5
    PHP: 5.2.14
    Form URL: http://www.survivemilano.it/default-form/

Thanks for your help.

Posted 13 years ago on Wednesday March 30, 2011 | Permalink
  9. @Luca This is going to be a theme or plugin conflict that is causing this issue.

To test for a theme conflict:

- Activate default Twenty Ten theme
    - Check to see if the issue still occurs

If it does not, then something in your theme is causing a conflict. If it still happens, follow the steps below to test for plugin conflicts.

To test for a plugin conflict:

- Deactivate ALL plugins
    - Activate Gravity Forms
    - Check to see if the issue occurs

If it does not, then one of your plugins is causing a conflict. To narrow it down follow the steps below:

- Activate each plugin one by one
    - Check to see if the issue occurs after each one

Let me know how it goes. We can't prevent themes or plugins from causing conflicts. This can happen when the plugin or theme doesn't isolate when and where it outputs code or manipulates data.

10. @Carl, I followed your instructions and I found a conflict with this plugin: WP-events 2.2.3

Is it possible to remove this conflict? (I''m not a developer, but I'm able to execute clear instructions).

Thanks.

Form URL: http://www.survivemilano.it/default-form/

11. There isn't anything specific to provide directions for. WP-Events is doing something it shouldn't by manipulating Gravity Forms data. You may need to try contacting the WP-Events developer and report the issue and see if he can look into it also. We can take a look, but it's going to be an issue that WP-Events needs to fix in it's code.

12. @Carl

HISTORY: I've been using WP-events for two years without problems, and installed gravity forms just a week ago.

If you can take a look, I'd really appreciate it. I sent you a WordPress admin login for the site via your Contact Us form.

Thanks in advance

13. acsnaterse

Hi,

I have the same issue here. It stores the complete message in the "long" table, but no way that it shows up in the notification or on the entry detail page.

It's also happening with 2010 theme, so it seems not to be a theme issue.

How can this be solved?

I'm using version 1.5 on WP3.1 and without the WP-Events plugin ;-)

Posted 13 years ago on Monday April 4, 2011 | Permalink
  14. @acsnaterse Have you tested for plugin conflicts using the steps above? Because this is usually always a plugin related conflict.

15. acsnaterse

ok, it works now after I disabled all the plugins, activated GF first en then the rest. No conflict now anymore.

Glad it's solved, but certainly this isn't good behavior. Apparently something (probably a messed up option or something like that) in the plugin goes buggy which causes this behavior. Maybe something to look at?

16. @acsnaterse Nope, it's going to be another plugin causing the issue. There isn't a bug related to this in Gravity Forms and there are no options related to this that can be messed up. It's a straight query to the database.

It's always another plugin that causes this issue by interfering with Gravity Forms code and manipulating data. So if you didn't narrow it down to a specific plugin, it's possible this issue could return.

This topic has been resolved and has been closed to new replies.