PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

Update from 1.6.8.1 to 1.7 (and onward)

1. Since the 1.7 update of GF's I have been reluctant to upgrade any of our clients forms due to the change in structure of GF's CSS directory.

I noted that the update overwrote any modifications to the forms.css and formsmain.css files when updating the plugin. This left me having to restyle a number of forms from scratch which I am keen to avoid again!

Can someone please confirm that this has now been rectified and that if I update clients to 1.7.5 that existing CSS modifications won't be overwritten?

...If not am I safe to backup the existing forms.CSS and replace it in place of the newly generated one, or are there inherent changes from one to the other which would stop GF from working?

Thanks in advance!

Posted 10 years ago on Tuesday June 4, 2013 | Permalink
  2. You should never edit the plugins stylesheets. You should always place custom CSS at the theme level to avoid the situation you are finding yourself in. Your best course of action here is to either migrate your custom styles out of the plugin's stylesheet and into your theme stylesheet. Or, turn off the CSS in the Gravity Forms settings page and copy/paste all of the styles at the theme level.

This is why we have the big warning in the comments section at the top of the forms stylesheet which reads:

"NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE! MAKE ANY MODIFICATIONS IN YOUR THEME STYLESHEET. THIS FILE IS REPLACED DURING AUTO-UPDATES AND ANY CHANGES MADE HERE WILL BE OVERWRITTEN.

If you need to make extensive customizations, copy the contents of this file to your theme style sheet for editing. Then, go to the form settings page & set the 'output CSS' option
    to no."

Posted 10 years ago on Tuesday June 4, 2013 | Permalink