PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

User Registration and Notification issues

1. Hey all :)

A client is having an issue. I can't say exactly *when* the issue started because she's one of those that sees a problem, tries to fix it (which means I have to go back in and fix a BUNCH of stuff she "fixed"), and then forgets to tell me until months later.

We have several Gravity Forms on the site, and all are working fine - she gets all the notifications when someone does whatever with a form.

BUT... we have one form that is used for membership. It's using the user Registration and Paypal modules together with a custom form to collect data for a directory. When we set Paypal to only create a user and send a notification after successful payment, it's not happening anymore. (but if we uncheck those boxes, the user is created and the admin is notified - but they'd rather not do that because they don't want a user to be created until AFTER the payment has been successfully made).

We suspect something's happening between Paypal and the site, but it's REALLY odd, because she finds out someone has registered for the site because Paypal notifies her she's gotten a payment. So the payments are being processed just fine through the form, and the info is being saved in the back end of the site as an "Entry" to the form. But notifications from the form are not sent, and the user is not created for some reason. Payment is processed fine, and the end user is returned to the site like they should be (as a successful transaction), but the notification isn't sent and the user is not created.

Anyone know what may be going on here? Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday February 6, 2013 | Permalink
  2. Sounds like you might just have an issue with notifications being unreliable. Are you currently using an SMTP plugin to ensure more reliable email delivery? You've been around long enough to know how to troubleshoot these things, but have you seen this new documentation page? http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/Troubleshooting_Notifications

Also, it could be related to a plugin or theme conflict combined with recent WordPress updates. Can you check for theme and plugin conflicts as well? http://rkt.gs/testing

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday February 7, 2013 | Permalink
  3. Yeah, we've tried that. Thing is, either way (SMTP or no) the form has the issue. They've even contacted the host to see if they have any kind of logs or anything that might tell what's going on (I'm waiting to hear back).

We have 5 other forms on the site (with the exact same notification settings), and all work just fine. The one that integrates with Paypal is the only one that doesn't. it's really strange, but because of this, we can only (through testing) figure *something* has gone wrong somewhere between the time the end user successfully pays and the information returning back to the site. It's like Paypal drops off instead of notifying the site that the transaction was successful, which is what should trigger the creation of the user/sending of the notification to the admin.

And I'll check again for theme conflicts (I wrote the theme, and this was brought to my attention a few days ago *because* they wanted me to upgrade the theme - they hadn't updated WP from 3.4.x yet) but I'm pretty sure I got them all.

4. Is the payment status updated properly to "Approved" or are they stuck on "Processing"? I should have asked that earlier. If you have it set to send the user notification only after successful payment, if the payment status is not updated, that notification won't ever be sent.

Can you check the PayPal IPN History to see if they are sending the IPN successfully?

Also, can you visit the IPN URL on the site and check the response header? It should be a 200, but I have seen others and that will create a problem with IPN as well.

5. I'll give that a shot. I know earlier in the project (several months ago) they were having issues with that, but they were supposedly resolved back at the end of summer. I'll check it again. Thanks!

6. Let us know. I'll be happy to help you dig in if you need help.

7. @Shelly, did you resolve this as I have exactly the same problem and cannot see any problems with the setup. i am getting a response code of 200 at Paypal with the money going thru ok but gravity forms is stuck in 'processing'. Sound familiar?

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday February 21, 2013 | Permalink
  8. I've had problems like this in the past and it has cropped up again since updating the PayPal add-on to 1.6 on Sunday. In August, I worked around whatever the problem is by not sending the e-mail address to PayPal.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday February 25, 2013 | Permalink
  9. @fastpipe, is that solution still working for you with 1.6?

Posted 11 years ago on Monday February 25, 2013 | Permalink
  10. No. In fact, after updating to 1.6, we're having the same problem where the transaction goes through, but the end user never gets notified.

Similarly though, it's not 100 percent. Since updating both the main GF plugin and the PayPal add-on Sunday, we had six transactions: one went through as expected, two were never finalized, three completed the transaction at PayPal, but didn't receive the confirmation e-mail.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday February 26, 2013 | Permalink
  11. Are there any negative ramifications to trying to roll back to the previous PayPal add-on where things were working?

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday February 26, 2013 | Permalink
  12. There are no negative ramifications that I am aware of. Do you have a copy of 1.5 that you can reinstall to test?

Posted 11 years ago on Wednesday February 27, 2013 | Permalink
  13. I have rolled back to 1.5. Hopefully, I'll know shortly if this resolves the problem.

14. We've had two transactions since I reverted the add-on back to version 1.5 that have gone through without a hitch (i.e. showing as 'approved' under entries and where the user gets notified from our server). Yesterday, we had 10 transactions that all showed as "processing" and the users didn't receive e-mail with the links to download their documents. There must be some change between 1.6 and 1.5.

15. I'll bring this to the attention of the development team for their thoughts.

Posted 11 years ago on Thursday February 28, 2013 | Permalink
  16. Sorry I haven't updated! (i should set myself to be notified of replies!) I still haven't found anything, BUT, the client hasn't gotten back to me about the questions I had for them about the whole situation, so I can try some things. I'm assuming that whatever happened, it's not happening anymore (or they would have replied to me). Based on that assumption, I can only guess that it's something on PayPal's end, because I haven't tried anything yet.

However, this client is quite "flighty", so there's probably issues and I won't hear anything for 6 months, when it's annoyed her so much she can't take it anymore, and it's suddenly an "emergency" LOL Soooo.... sorry I can't help much more on it! But if I do ever hear back, then I swear, I'll come back and update. (But chances are, by the time I actually hear back, GF will have already found the issue, fixed it, and sent out an update!)

Posted 11 years ago on Friday March 1, 2013 | Permalink
  17. There was definitely a change somewhere. The 10 transactions since reverting have all worked perfectly, as they did before.

Posted 11 years ago on Friday March 1, 2013 | Permalink
  18. We are having a hard time reproducing this error. If you have any additional information to share with us, please do.

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday March 2, 2013 | Permalink
  19. Let me know what I could send you to help track it down. I could export the form, maybe even dump the Gravity Forms tables with data, if that would help. We're running WordPress 3.5.1. The only plugin we're running that might cause issues is DB Cache Reloaded, but you'd think if that were the problem it would also affect 1.5 in addition to 1.6.

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday March 3, 2013 | Permalink
  20. If you turn off DB Cache Reloaded, can you test with 1.6 again to see if the problem still occurs? Caching plugins can cause problems with form submissions.

Posted 11 years ago on Monday March 4, 2013 | Permalink
  21. For anyone who is experiencing this issue, please send a WordPress administrator login to chris@rocketgenius.com and an FTP login as well, to chris@rocketgenius.com and be sure to include a link to this topic so I know what we're talking about. Thank you.

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday March 5, 2013 | Permalink