PLEASE NOTE: These forums are no longer utilized and are provided as an archive for informational purposes only. All support issues will be handled via email using our support ticket system. For more detailed information on this change, please see this blog post.

User Registration Form always returns error that user name field is empty

1. Gaslight

I have a problem with a User Registration form (I'm using the User Registration addon).

For some reason it will always return an error saying that the user name field is blank, even if the user has entered some text there. No matter what, the user won't be created.

Is this a known issue? you can find my form on http://www.nellaterradisandokan.com/ (click on top right menu "registrazione") - one note the form opens in a modal window and is part of the header.php - if I enable ajax on it, other forms and js will break - I'm working for a solution to redirect the user to another page to visualize errors and success messages - please see my reply on this thread http://www.gravityhelp.com/forums/topic/redirect-on-error-or-success

as of now to check for errors you'll have to click again on "registrazione" after the page is loaded

I was stuck with this for hours and still haven't solved it

thank you

Posted 11 years ago on Saturday July 28, 2012 | Permalink
  2. If you embed the form normally in a WordPress page, does it work correctly, with proper validation?

Posted 11 years ago on Sunday July 29, 2012 | Permalink
  3. Gaslight

No it's the same

I placed the form in this page
    http://www.nellaterradisandokan.com/registrazione-utente/

it will return "Il nome utente non può essere lasciato vuoto." - that's the italian localization for "The user name field cannot be empty", yet I did type some text in that. If I try again to enter a name after the error is thrown, it will give still the same error.

Therefore I believe this is some bug within Gravity Forms, but maybe it applies for my particular configuration? I'm not sure if I had the same problem before the recent updates. My installation is running off a multisite wordpress with buddypress, I'm planning to revert it to single site. However I did nothing strange to that template; it's just a registration form with a "name" field, "email" field, "password" field, and a single "checkbox". There are no hidden fields. My GF plugin is updated to the latest version (no beta) and the same for the User Registration addon. On the same website I run other contact forms and a mailchimp gravity form, they seem to be running fine.

any clue?

4. Gaslight

No, on a mirror site I disabled the multisite feature and reverted to single site (also tried disabling buddypress), but the form is still throwing the same error. I do not have further plugins interacting with user registration.

5. Gaslight

ah and fyi there's no caching plugin active at the moment, at the beginning I thought it was some sort of caching issue

6. If you deactivate BuddyPress temporarily, will it work correctly?

It should work in Multisite without a problem. Maybe it's a theme or plugin conflict? You can check by following the testing instructions found here http://rkt.gs/testing

7. Gaslight

no, still nada.... still the same error telling that the user field cannot be blank

tried disabling plugins - bbpress and buddypress (as mentioned earlier)... this time I deactivated the others... I even had disabled the lightbox plugin managing the modal window and trying running the form on a regular wordpress page, still throws the usual error...

I was running some conditional logic on the form, preventing users to register with known spammy email addresses (ie .ru, .pl, .tk, .tw, ecc.), I disabled the conditional logic altogether... nothing... disabled akismet, honeypot... nothing

Posted 11 years ago on Monday July 30, 2012 | Permalink
  8. Gaslight

maybe is a javascript/ajax issue, with the form not passing the string in the user name field? perhaps one of the GF developers could check the website with a js console?

9. Have you tested the form from within the formbuilder preview window as well?

10. Gaslight

same error! maybe an error in the form design?
    I'm using the name field for the name... field... err it makes sense right?

11. Gaslight

error persists regardless if I switch on or off the "required" checkbox on the form editor for that specific field

12. Per the documentation:
    http://www.gravityhelp.com/documentation/page/User_Registration_Add-On

It says to use the single line text field for username. Give that a go.

13. Gaslight

oh, I did as advised but now the form is not appearing anymore:

http://www.nellaterradisandokan.com/

try clicking on "Registrati"

I'm calling the form with

gravity_form( $formreg, true, true, true, null, false );

$formreg is a variable where I hold the form ID, works for other forms where I use similar variables

I don't think is necessarily the lightbox plugin because the "Newsletter" form is showing up correctly and is being called in the same way

14. The form shows up for me:

Screenshot

15. Gaslight

oh that's the correct form... strange it doesn't work here and I emptied the firefox cache... didn't work on Opera either... and just now tested with chrome too, nothing appears

I've just found that if you go on this page which also contains the same form

http://www.nellaterradisandokan.com/registrazione-utente/

the form will show on the page and also on the modal window ONLY IF you click on "Registrati" and the modal window appears; on top of that there's something broken with the max char counter

I tired to disable that but no change of behaviour

yeah it * might * be the modal window, but it doesn't explain why it's working properly with the newsletter sign up and not properly with the sign up form... I really wish to have it in the modal window

16. That's your issue on that page then, you can't have the same form on a page twice. They always have to be unique. So you might want to duplicate one of them and replace.

17. Gaslight

ok that page is not really relevant because I only used it for some testing

I'm still wondering how come you get to see the form in the modal window and I don't (I mean from the homepage, not the page with the duplicate form)

18. Gaslight

just now I asked a few people to check the form from their locations/browsers... they all say that there's no form appearing, just a blue modal window, empty

I tried to enable/disable ajax on the form, no difference

19. I just launched it successfully in Chrome/Firefox/Safari on OS 10.8

Are they letting the page fully load prior to clicking?

20. Gaslight

ok fixed it!

it turned out that if i had "No duplicate" option on the form field for the username it didn't run correctly

however, what if two users choose the same username at the moment of registration?

21. I suppose whoever clicks submit first wins! Glad you got it fixed.

22. Gaslight

ah ok so it's going to throw an error anyway in that case, good to know that

thank you very much indeed for your help, I've always appreciated the support here on gravity I hope it will be always like this

ps - any news about gravity charge? I had a client asking me about it...

23. No news on Gravity Charge. Watch this space for announcements:
    http://www.gravitycharge.com/

Posted 11 years ago on Tuesday July 31, 2012 | Permalink